Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Stealing with no base

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 28, 2011 3:17 am

Sabertooth wrote:Then the Blues on hand made the correct call. BR safe at 2nd. And that is what I thought the call should be. Of course the defensive crowd disagreed! In closing let me ask. Given UmpSteve's comment allowing play to continue. "SHOULD" BU have called time when R1 picked up the base that popped out? Thanks for the comments.

No ... not unless she interfered with F4 & F6's ability to make a play on the batter runner who was swiping second, which given your OP, she did not ... But, if she had interfered, the ball would be dead, runner closest to home would be declared out, all other ( if any ) runners must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by softballdadcoach » Tue May 31, 2011 7:31 am

Just to satisfy my morbid curiosity--if the girl stealing 2B was noticed and a defensive player got there in time and the ball was thrown in time for a play, how does an umpire make a call on a defensive tag versus the runner reaching the aforementioned missing 'base'? In other words, where or what would the runner have to have been touching ahead of the tag to be declared 'safe'? Is this nothing more than a judgement call?

Seems like an umpire on that play would be in a no-win situation where there is really nothing concrete to back-up the call...?
softballdadcoach

by ajaywill » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 am

softballdadcoach wrote:Just to satisfy my morbid curiosity--if the girl stealing 2B was noticed and a defensive player got there in time and the ball was thrown in time for a play, how does an umpire make a call on a defensive tag versus the runner reaching the aforementioned missing 'base'? In other words, where or what would the runner have to have been touching ahead of the tag to be declared 'safe'? Is this nothing more than a judgement call?
Seems like an umpire on that play would be in a no-win situation where there is really nothing concrete to back-up the call...?

Correct
ajaywill

by HugoTafurst » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 am

ajaywill wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:(Snip)
(Snip)

Not quite... any umpire who knows what he or she is doing is in a "can't lose" situation.
Discussion (if any) ends when ever the umpire's patience wears out.
:D
HugoTafurst

by softballdadcoach » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:20 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
ajaywill wrote:
(Snip)

Not quite... any umpire who knows what he or she is doing is in a "can't lose" situation.

Hugo, I understand your humor, but I can only imagine the discussion something like "How do you know she was safe/out since there was no base to compare with the time the tag was applied?" I wouldn't want to have to make that call and then justify it to the OC and/or DC...
softballdadcoach

by HugoTafurst » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:
ajaywill wrote:
(Snip)

Hugo, I understand your humor, but I can only imagine the discussion something like "How do you know she was safe/out since there was no base to compare with the time the tag was applied?" I wouldn't want to have to make that call and then justify it to the OC and/or DC...

Although said understanding the humor..... I meant it.
Bottom line is it's my (the umpire's judgement).
The coach's aren't blind, they saw what happened.
Sure, one of them isn't going to like the call and if he or she is reasonable, I'll let them talk to me about it, but it won't change anything.
My job is to judge that situation, ........ that's it.
It's similar to an obstruction call, isn't it? We have to judge the base the runner would have gotten had there been no obstruction....

I appreciate your sympathy, just pointing out that in the end, there is nothing to get excited about.
I hpe it doesn't happen, but if it does, it won't bother me to make the call, or will it bother me to explain it to an unhappy coach...
HugoTafurst

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner