Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Cleats up, claws out!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sabertooth » Tue May 31, 2011 11:33 am

OK Blues, Enlighten me.

Admittedly I have not been around alot of "Gold" and College Ball. Watching a High School 5A series, post season, 3 game series. Winner goes to State. Last game of the series, tied up 1-1. I watched these girls really going at each other. First incident, girls runs through first and lays an elbow to the side of the head of F3, lays her out. She gets up, after a while and is OK. Next opportunity, opposing BR slides into 1B takes their F3 down. Afterwards a play at 3B, R1 takes down F6. I'm watching as girls are sliding into 1B cleats up claws out. On another incident, a little contoversy/confusion BR is standing on 1B Catcher goes over to tag her (not sure why), BR lightly pushes her back. SO just out of curiousity, what if anything is the philosophy of the Umpires when this starts? Not that it matters, but no calls were ever made. Of course the crowd had plenty of calls!
Read the destructions first.
Sabertooth

by ajaywill » Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 am

Sabertooth wrote:OK Blues, Enlighten me.

Admittedly I have not been around alot of "Gold" and College Ball. Watching a High School 5A series, post season, 3 game series. Winner goes to State. Last game of the series, tied up 1-1. I watched these girls really going at each other. First incident, girls runs through first and lays an elbow to the side of the head of F3, lays her out. She gets up, after a while and is OK. Next opportunity, opposing BR slides into 1B takes their F3 down. Afterwards a play at 3B, R1 takes down F6. I'm watching as girls are sliding into 1B cleats up claws out. On another incident, a little contoversy/confusion BR is standing on 1B Catcher goes over to tag her (not sure why), BR lightly pushes her back. SO just out of curiousity, what if anything is the philosophy of the Umpires when this starts? Not that it matters, but no calls were ever made. Of course the crowd had plenty of calls!

From your description, it sounds like the runner who "laid an elbow" to F3 should have been ejected. That sounds like malicious contact to me.

You didn't say what, if anything the umpires did when that happened, but to completely ignore something like that doesn't help manage the game.
ajaywill

by Sabertooth » Tue May 31, 2011 12:05 pm

No calls were ever made concerning contact.
Read the destructions first.
Sabertooth

by DP3816 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm all for "letting them play" but throwing elbows and showing steel is way out of hand. The runner who elbowed the 1B should have been ejected immediately. In cases like this the umpires have to take control of the game and make sure everyone keeps it clean.
DP3816

by fasterpitch92701 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 am

DP3816 has it correct. Ejection, immediate. If the offending players coach goes a micron beyond "the line", ejection. If you don't shut it down immediately it will only get worse.

Sidenote: The AD for the school should be notified of the civil liability potential against the player and the school for malicious actions taken by a player representing the school. I can't stand lawyers but sometimes...
fasterpitch92701

by lvtwft » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:07 am

fasterpitch92701 wrote:DP3816 has it correct. Ejection, immediate. If the offending players coach goes a micron beyond "the line", ejection. If you don't shut it down immediately it will only get worse.

Sidenote: The AD for the school should be notified of the civil liability potential against the player and the school for malicious actions taken by a player representing the school. I can't stand lawyers but sometimes...

Is that needed? Next time a hitter tries to pull the ball down 3b line and hits little suzie in the face...Lets get the law involved? If the umps did not make an ejection or talk to the girl, perhaps malicious is a little much?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by DP3816 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

lvtwft wrote:
fasterpitch92701 wrote:DP3816 has it correct. Ejection, immediate. If the offending players coach goes a micron beyond "the line", ejection. If you don't shut it down immediately it will only get worse.

Is that needed? Next time a hitter tries to pull the ball down 3b line and hits little suzie in the face...Lets get the law involved? If the umps did not make an ejection or talk to the girl, perhaps malicious is a little much?

Are you serious? Don't you think there is a differance between Throwing Elbows and spiking kids than a line drive that hits a fielder. Come on Man!
DP3816

by Realist » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:01 pm

I don't know if the AD should have been called or not, but an elbow to the back of the head is a little different from a ball ripped down the line. A batted ball is part of the game of softball. The only game that an elbow to the head is a part of is MMA.
Realist

by HugoTafurst » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Realist wrote:I don't know if the AD should have been called or not, but an elbow to the back of the head is a little different from a ball ripped down the line. A batted ball is part of the game of softball. The only game that an elbow to the head is a part of is MMA.

Hockey? :lol:
HugoTafurst

by lvtwft » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I have found some real POS umpires in my time, but to have a no call with an MMA style elbow to the back of the head and all the other plays in the games which you thought were dirty?
I was not there and did not get both sides of the story, but it is hard to believe they did nothing and you want to call the police and get the AD involved..Again, is that needed?
I was not correlating the two events with each other, but asking if you get the police and AD involved now with something that happened that the umpires did not call, where would the end be??
Perhaps your objective ability here is a little skewed....?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

Return to The Umpire Corner