Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Defacing the Ball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by scott » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am

Top 4th. Our pitcher recieved a new ball from the PU and rubbed the ball in the dirt. He called time and told me she is now designated to the duggout for the remainder of the game for defacing the ball.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Was this ump correct or just on a powertrip?
I am still mad about it.
scott

by Comp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am

First, what rules set you playing under?

She isnt suppose to rub the ball in the dirt or apply dirt directly to the ball, but, nowhere in the rules does it restrict the player to the bench on a first offense. If it was FED rules, they can issue a warning, then restrict to the dugout, but, ASA has no such restriction. In ASA if after being warned the player continued to apply a foreign substance to the ball, it would be an ejection.

And Im sure this will bring up the subject of dirt being a foreign substance. Dirt in itself is not considered to be a foreign substance per ASA rules clarifications. But, under the same clarification, the pitcher is not allowed to apply the dirt directly to the ball.
Comp

by scott » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply.
This was ASA championship play. (16U National Qualifier)
scott

by WildRoseCoach » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:27 pm

scott wrote:Top 4th. Our pitcher recieved a new ball from the PU and rubbed the ball in the dirt. He called time and told me she is now designated to the duggout for the remainder of the game for defacing the ball.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Was this ump correct or just on a powertrip?
I am still mad about it.

That is funny (in a strange way) because in baseball if the ball hits the ground or gets scuffed just a little they get rid of it, but softballs can be in the dirt, off the fence, off the concrete, and they still play on. I've never quite understood that one.
WildRoseCoach

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am

baseballs are pre-scuffed. They are rubbed with rubbing mud.

Softballs often come with protective lubricant from the manufacturing process or shipping. Getting some dirt on your hand and rubbing it on the ball is perfectly allowable way to remove that coating (not applying dirt directly to the ball). Manufacturers intend for that coating to be removed before use.

There are a lot of umpires that will take a new ball and rub it down before putting it in the game.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:03 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:baseballs are pre-scuffed. They are rubbed with rubbing mud.

Softballs often come with protective lubricant from the manufacturing process or shipping. Getting some dirt on your hand and rubbing it on the ball is perfectly allowable way to remove that coating (not applying dirt directly to the ball). Manufacturers intend for that coating to be removed before use.

There are a lot of umpires that will take a new ball and rub it down before putting it in the game.

I've never noticed a 'lubricant' on a new ball ... What manufacturer does that ? ... And I have NEVER seen a softball Umpire rub down a new ball before putting it in the game, including myself ... To do so would be presumptuous ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by SoCalASABlue » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am

Most of the umpires in my association roll the brand new game ball out to the circle, thereby allowing the pitcher to take care of the slickness legally. The catcher can also take care of some of it by dropping a few of the practice pitches in the dirt before throwing the ball back to the circle. Lots of ways to take care of this without having to rely on the umpire.
SoCalASABlue

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 am

AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Otay Panky ... 4 articles on baseballs being rubbed to remove the sheen ... WTF does that have to do with a 'lubricant' on softballs and softball umpires rubbing down a ball ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:06 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I've never noticed a 'lubricant' on a new ball ... What manufacturer does that ? ...

Prior to packaging softballs are sprayed with a nice coating to make them pretty. Don't think it is a lubricant, but it does it's job by coating each ball.

And I have NEVER seen a softball Umpire rub down a new ball before putting it in the game, including myself ... To do so would be presumptuous ...

I do all the time for more than 40 years now. New ball doesn't go through my hands without being rubbed down.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner