Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Odd interference call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by slapperdad » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:56 am

R1 at first. Ball is hit to the F4 R1 is running at F4 and slows to avoid running into her. F4 fields the ball and tags her, then throws to F3 but the throw is not in time to get B/R going to first.

Now this is three man ASA. 3rd base BU calls R1 out on the tag. 1st base BU then calls interference on R1 AND calls the B/R out at 1. They get togetehr to talk about it, and their conclusion is, had there not been any interference, they would have gotten the double play. I'm not going to argue the interference, unfortunately I think the 1st base BU was the only one in the park who saw it. My question is can someone give me the ASA rule that provides that that the B/R can be called out going to one on interference on R1.

TIA.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 am

Rule 8-J-1 or 8-J-2 ( HTBT ) Effect : If this interference , in the Umpires judgement is an attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner shall be called out.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:16 am

8-7-J Effect If this interference, in the umpires judgement is an attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner shall also be called out.
Comp

by slapperdad » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by MTR » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 pm

slapperdad wrote:R1 at first. Ball is hit to the F4 R1 is running at F4 and slows to avoid running into her. F4 fields the ball and tags her, then throws to F3 but the throw is not in time to get B/R going to first.

Now this is three man ASA. 3rd base BU calls R1 out on the tag. 1st base BU then calls interference on R1 AND calls the B/R out at 1. They get togetehr to talk about it, and their conclusion is, had there not been any interference, they would have gotten the double play. I'm not going to argue the interference, unfortunately I think the 1st base BU was the only one in the park who saw it.

I might have protested that call just to find out what he saw or thought he saw that justified an INT call.
MTR

by tcannizzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 pm

MTR wrote:
slapperdad wrote:R1 at first. Ball is hit to the F4 R1 is running at F4 and slows to avoid running into her. F4 fields the ball and tags her, then throws to F3 but the throw is not in time to get B/R going to first.

Now this is three man ASA. 3rd base BU calls R1 out on the tag. 1st base BU then calls interference on R1 AND calls the B/R out at 1. They get togetehr to talk about it, and their conclusion is, had there not been any interference, they would have gotten the double play. I'm not going to argue the interference, unfortunately I think the 1st base BU was the only one in the park who saw it.

I might have protested that call just to find out what he saw or thought he saw that justified an INT call.

Ditto - where was INT?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:04 pm

tcannizzo wrote:
MTR wrote:

Ditto - where was INT?

In my judgement blaa blaa blaa ....
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:
MTR wrote:

Ditto - where was INT?

In my judgement blaa blaa blaa ....

Right but not in the OP.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:In my judgement blaa blaa blaa ....

Yes, but then the umpire needs to offer the act he witnessed to call the INT and there is where you may get the misinterpretation needed to support the protest.

At least, you get to know what it was.
MTR

by slapperdad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:53 am

At this stage of the game it was moot to do anything. In Bob Knight's words, relax and enjoy it.

I'm not sure the guy could have made a credible argument for interference no matter how he worded it. It was a clean tag, no hanky panky, the throw just wasn't in time. The 2 BU's did get together and talk. I just think he was a young inexperienced umpire, hopefully he learns from it.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

Return to The Umpire Corner