Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference on foul fly ball ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hit4power » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 am

Playing ASA...

R1 at 3B and takes a lead with the pitch. Batter hits a short pop foul just short of 3B and near the dugout. Seeing the popup, R1 begins to retreat to 3B and collides with F5 who is charging across the foul line to try to catch the popup. F5 gets untangled with R1, gets to the fence at the front of the dugout but is unable to make the catch. The ball lands untouched on the field beside the front of the dugout. BU initially called R1 out on INT, but after discussion with PU reverses himself. I couldn't hear the conversation but I'm curious as to what could be a possible reason to reverse the call?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by okla21fan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:41 pm

hit4power wrote:Playing ASA...

R1 at 3B and takes a lead with the pitch. Batter hits a short pop foul just short of 3B and near the dugout. Seeing the popup, R1 begins to retreat to 3B and collides with F5 who is charging across the foul line to try to catch the popup. F5 gets untangled with R1, gets to the fence at the front of the dugout but is unable to make the catch. The ball lands untouched on the field beside the front of the dugout. BU initially called R1 out on INT, but after discussion with PU reverses himself. I couldn't hear the conversation but I'm curious as to what could be a possible reason to reverse the call?

With normal and ordinary effort, in your unbiased opinion could F5 have made the catch had she not had contact with R1??
okla21fan

by BenAround » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Doesn't it matter if the contact occurred in foul territory ?
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by okla21fan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:56 pm

BenAround wrote:Doesn't it matter if the contact occurred in foul territory ?

nope, not if the 'act' of interference was committed
okla21fan

by hit4power » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 pm

With normal and ordinary effort, in your unbiased opinion could F5 have made the catch had she not had contact with R1??

I'm guessing that's what the discussion was about. Certainly a HTBT situation, and any catch against the fence is always tricky and perhaps not done with ordinary effort. The only thing I could say is that w/o the contact, F5 would have gotten to the fence more quickly and had more time to establish herself, locate the ball, and try to make the catch. No interference would have made the catch easier, but perhaps still not something in the envelope of normal and ordinary.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by joaquinjunior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 am

R1 did what she had to do. run back to the bag. reverse call was correct.
joaquinjunior
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 am

joaquinjunior wrote:R1 did what she had to do. run back to the bag. reverse call was correct.

The offense cannot interfere with a defensive player making a play on a batted ball. Trying to get back to the base to tag does not negate the runners responsibility to give the fielder room to field the ball. The most likely reason for the reversal of the call was how far the ball was hit toward the dugout and was not catchable with normal effort.
Comp

by joaquinjunior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 am

running from 2B - 3B is really different than running form a lead-off from 3B -back to the bag. its a move that was done quick, so R1 just reacted and didnt realize that the player was right there, as she turned to go back to the bag. At this point, I guess its a judgement call on the umpires. Could go iether way.
joaquinjunior
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

joaquinjunior wrote:running from 2B - 3B is really different than running form a lead-off from 3B -back to the bag. its a move that was done quick, so R1 just reacted and didnt realize that the player was right there, as she turned to go back to the bag. At this point, I guess its a judgement call on the umpires. Could go iether way.

No, it really isn't different; and not realizing the player was there (so no intent, you are saying) is simply not important.

Bottom line. With the sole exception of the right to stay on the base and be hit by the batted ball (8.8-M), the runner has zero right to impede, hinder, or otherwise keep a defensive player from making a play on a batted ball. The runner (same as a base coach) must yield whatever space the defensive player needs. None of your rationalizations apply.

The ONLY things to be considered are: 1) Was there a play, in the judgment of the umpires? 2) If yes, then did the runner hinder the defensive player from making that play? (8.7-J)

If yes, yes, then interference, runner is out, batter assessed a foul strike (if foul), or batter is placed on first base (if fair). If the play would be considered "routine", then both runner and batter are out (8.7-J-L Note EXCEPTION).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by pdm54 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Had the same situation in a game I was working. I was BU and the PU overruled my interference call. It should have been R1 out for interference and batter out because the pop foul was easily catchable about 3 to 4 feet off the line. He decided it wasn't intentional so nobody was out. It doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, there should have been 2 outs on the play.
pdm54

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner