Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference on foul fly ball ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 pm

pdm54 wrote:Had the same situation in a game I was working. I was BU and the PU overruled my interference call. It should have been R1 out for interference and batter out because the pop foul was easily catchable about 3 to 4 feet off the line. He decided it wasn't intentional so nobody was out. It doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, there should have been 2 outs on the play.

Did you ask him to cite a rule that grants him the right to overrule your call and judgment on the bases?

Seriously, there is no such rule, and his "overrule" itself is a basis for a protest, aside from ruling incorrectly.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by playball13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

Rule (8.7-J-L Note EXCEPTION)
Calling both players out on a routine GB that could have easily been turned into a DP I can see awarding 2 outs. But on a foul pop-up in which the interference is only really keeping the defense from making an out on the batter seems a bit unfair to call the Batter out in addition to R1.
Do you really think the intent of this Exception was for cases like this OP?
playball13

by Comp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am

The rule calling both the interfering player and the batter out specifies a ball that could be caught with "normal" effort. Running clear to the fence along the dugout would not be normal effort.
Comp

by Bretman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

UmpSteve wrote:Did you ask him to cite a rule that grants him the right to overrule your call and judgment on the bases?

Seriously, there is no such rule, and his "overrule" itself is a basis for a protest, aside from ruling incorrectly.

Protest the call, sure. But you can't protest the umpires failing to adhere to the guidelines of protocol under Rule 10.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by UmpSteve » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Bretman wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:Did you ask him to cite a rule that grants him the right to overrule your call and judgment on the bases?

Protest the call, sure. But you can't protest the umpires failing to adhere to the guidelines of protocol under Rule 10.

The call was made by the only umpire with jurisdiction, the BU. Absent the BU changing HIS call, no other call by another umpire has any rules basis. I believe you could, and SHOULD, protest (and should win) the unofficial, inappropriate, and nonsupported call by the PU.

Frankly, as a BU, I just wouldn't ever let that happen. We wouldn't continue the game, because the PU has no authority to change my call; no more than the opposing coach can. Even if he thinks he can. We only continue when my call stands.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by pdm54 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 am

The call was made by the only umpire with jurisdiction, the BU. Absent the BU changing HIS call, no other call by another umpire has any rules basis. I believe you could, and SHOULD, protest (and should win) the unofficial, inappropriate, and nonsupported call by the PU.

Frankly, as a BU, I just wouldn't ever let that happen. We wouldn't continue the game, because the PU has no authority to change my call; no more than the opposing coach can. Even if he thinks he can. We only continue when my call stands.

I was new to umpiring (the first month I worked) and didn't know any better. It won't happen like that again.
pdm54

by Bretman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

UmpSteve wrote:I believe you could, and SHOULD, protest (and should win) the unofficial, inappropriate, and nonsupported call by the PU.

I agree that it's not what umpires are supposed to do. With respect to the protest, the last sentence of Rule 9 (ASA) seems to cover this.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by tcannizzo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:24 pm

pdm54 wrote:

I was new to umpiring (the first month I worked) and didn't know any better. It won't happen like that again.

You should only experience this once in your career; hopefully this would be it.
Very few umpires know how to handle this situation, and there are many points of view.
What Steve has written, is as correct as it can get.

Do Not walk off the field.

A good way to handle it would be to
a.) first have a civil meeting with your partner and encourage them to remove their call as they should know that they can't do that.
b.) if that doesn't work, inform the offended coach that your partner does not have the authority to make that call and recommend that the UIC get involved.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by HugoTafurst » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:06 am

tcannizzo wrote:
pdm54 wrote:

You should only experience this once in your career; hopefully this would be it.
Very few umpires know how to handle this situation, and there are many points of view.
What Steve has written, is as correct as it can get.

Do Not walk off the field.

A good way to handle it would be to
a.) first have a civil meeting with your partner and encourage them to remove their call as they should know that they can't do that.
b.) if that doesn't work, inform the offended coach that your partner does not have the authority to make that call and recommend that the UIC get involved.

Agree with not walking off the field.
Agree with a)
Not so sure I agree with b)
b.) if that doesn't work, inform the offended coach that your partner does not have the authority to make that call and recommend that the UIC get involved.[/

It's the coaches job to know what to do.

I would add c) finish the game, inform your assigner and never work wiith that partner again.
:D
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 am

playball13 wrote:Rule (8.7-J-L Note EXCEPTION)
Calling both players out on a routine GB that could have easily been turned into a DP I can see awarding 2 outs. But on a foul pop-up in which the interference is only really keeping the defense from making an out on the batter seems a bit unfair to call the Batter out in addition to R1.
Do you really think the intent of this Exception was for cases like this OP?

RS #33.A.1.d clearly states that if a runner interferes with a defender who, in the umpire's judgment, can catch a foul ball with ordinary effort, the runner and batter are ruled out.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner