Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference Call?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softballdadcoach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 am

I realize that this truly is a HTBT situation, but I am asking for some input from those here...

I am coaching an 11-12 YO (PonyTails) Dixie fastpitch All-Star team. We are on Defense, Offense has 2 outs and R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B. Batter hits hard grounder to 3B--hits her glove but ricochets off to her left (towards 2B). 3B naturally turns to field the ball she just mis-played. My SS has moved over to back up the play and also comes in to field the ball as it rolls in her general direction.

My SS and 3B come together about the same time as the ball is picked up by the SS. However, also arriving at the same time is R1, moving from 2B to 3B. As my SS has the ball and tags the runner, I assume the runner is out and the inning is over.

To his credit, the BU immediately signals interference (on my 3B) and awards R1 to 3B. My question is, in this scenario, what should my 3B have done differently? I understand she did not end up with possession of the ball, but she contacted the runner as she was making a play on the ball (and I understand that my SS was also making a play on the ball and was the defensive player who ended up actually making the play). I thought I understood the Obstruction and Interference rules pretty well...
softballdadcoach

by Comp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

Your F5 was not called for interference, she was called for obstruction. General rule to remember, offense interferes, defense obstructs.

As you stated had to be there, but, the obstruction rule says a defensive player without posession of the ball, or making a play on a batted ball, may not impede an offensive player. If F6 picked up the ball, F5 could not impede the runners progress and got called for obstruction.
Comp

by softballdadcoach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Comp--is there no leeway for a second fielder attempting to make a play, especially when it involves an attempt at recovery from an error?
softballdadcoach

by Bretman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Not really. The rule states that only one fielder is "protected"- the one who is actually fielding the ball. If two fielders converge on the ball, the umpire has to judge which one had the most reasonable chance of making the play. Only that fielder is protected from being called for obstruction.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by ajaywill » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:49 pm

The other thing to consider with your play is that once the ball richocheted of off your F5's glove, she could be considered to no longer be playing a batted ball. She had her chance to field the batted ball, since she was not able to do so, F5 and F6 are simply pursuing a ball that is in play.

This is purely a judgement on the part of the umpire, but the general philosophy is that if the ball is still within a step and a reach of the fielder, she may be considered to still be playing the batted ball.

The only provision for protection of the second fielder chasing the misplayed ball would be an intentional act of interference by the runner.
ajaywill

by tcannizzo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:13 pm

ajaywill wrote:The other thing to consider with your play is that once the ball richocheted of off your F5's glove, she could be considered to no longer be playing a batted ball. She had her chance to field the batted ball, since she was not able to do so, F5 and F6 are simply pursuing a ball that is in play.

This is purely a judgement on the part of the umpire, but the general philosophy is that if the ball is still within a step and a reach of the fielder, she may be considered to still be playing the batted ball.

The only provision for protection of the second fielder chasing the misplayed ball would be an intentional act of interference by the runner.

There is no such thing as Step-and-Reach in ASA.
Federation, yes.

It has less to do with "playing a batted ball" than it does "playing a batted ball with an opportunity to make a play (i.e an attempt to get an out).

While technically defenders were still in pursuit of a "deflected batted ball", for it to be INT, BU would have to judge that there was still an opportunity to get a put out.

Step-and-Reach logic seems to fit in certain situations, yet not in other situations, and therefore should never be used by an ASA umpire in any rulings/explanations.

To the poster's question about what should F5 have done, is a difficult one to teach Pony-tailers. Requires a lot of real-time analysis and split-second decision-making.

That being said, if she doesn't have control of a deflected batted ball she should probably yield to any base-runner; however, of course all bets are off if the batted ball has not been deflected and she is in the process of attempting to field it; then it is base-runner's responsibility to yield.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by softballdadcoach » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:44 am

Yes--she (my 3B) is only 12 years old, so I took her aside (she was really dejected and looked ready to cry) and told her that she showed great hustle and didn't give up on the ball. I let her know that her staying after the ball was exactly the right thing to do and what I expected of her. I wanted to be sure that she knew I wasn't putting any blame whatsoever on her for the play--it was just one of those things...
softballdadcoach

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:Yes--she (my 3B) is only 12 years old, so I took her aside (she was really dejected and looked ready to cry) and told her that she showed great hustle and didn't give up on the ball. I let her know that her staying after the ball was exactly the right thing to do and what I expected of her. I wanted to be sure that she knew I wasn't putting any blame whatsoever on her for the play--it was just one of those things...

I say, good job Coach ....
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner