Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Bretman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Huh? Have you never called an infield fly while the ball was still in the air and before the fielder caught it?
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:28 am

tcannizzo wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:
playball13 wrote:If infield fly rule was called, this would have been a double play if the ball was fair, correct?

You would have 2 outs.
The BR on the infield fly and the runner for interferring with a fielder fielding a batted ball.

How can you have IFF on a Dead Ball? :ugeek:

I was answering as if the IFF was called before the interference.

Even if the IFF was not verbalized before interference (but it was indeed determined to be an IFF), it still could be two outs.
That could happen easily for instance if BU called the INT as PU was abou to call the IFF.
HugoTafurst

by vcblue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 am

The IFF will always happen before the interference. How can it not?
vcblue

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 pm

vcblue wrote:The IFF will always happen before the interference. How can it not?

Not sure if you are are kidding or not, but I can envision a play where the runner interferes with the fielder as she is first moving (but before umpire has determined that the ball will become an infield fly).

Interference IS an immediate dead ball....
HugoTafurst

by vcblue » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:16 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
vcblue wrote:The IFF will always happen before the interference. How can it not?

Not sure if you are are kidding or not, but I can envision a play where the runner interferes with the fielder as she is first moving (but before umpire has determined that the ball will become an infield fly).

Sorry Hugo but should the blue call IFF by ASA mechanics (when it reaches its peak) on a fair batted ball the IFF still occurred right when the ball came off the bat. Therefore IFF will always come first.
vcblue

by shagpal » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:11 am

yeah, INT AFTER IFF, always.
Last edited by shagpal on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
shagpal

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:58 pm

vcblue wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:

Sorry Hugo but should the blue call IFF by ASA mechanics (when it reaches its peak) on a fair batted ball the IFF still occurred right when the ball came off the bat. Therefore IFF will always come first.

Now that you mention it, that makes sense - I guess it was one of those "thinking about" plays..
After all, if you call the interference, you have determined that the fielder is the "protected" on , or "most likely to field" the ball -

;-)
HugoTafurst

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner