Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by soupy62 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 am

OK playing a Little League All star game. Bases loaded 1 out, batter hits a fly ball over the first baseman that is playing in. As the 2nd baseman moves over to catch it the runner on first makes contact. The ump immeadiatly calls dead ball interference and returns the girls back to 3rd, and 2nd then the confusion comes in. First he returns the batter to the plate then finally after much discussion he does award the batter first base which i believe is the correct call. But the ump asks me to look it up int e rule book. I search the Little League book and it says all girls retun to the last base touched but nothing about the batter that has not yet reached first. So i tell him ill go home and check the ASA book where the rule is probably explained in more detail. basicly says the same thing. Where in a rule book (any rule book) can i find that the batter is forced to first?
soupy62

by SoCalASABlue » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 am

Sounds to me like the interference occurred after one of the umpires should have called infield fly.
SoCalASABlue

by soupy62 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 am

LOL we discussed that too i guess you had to be there to see it. I told him he could have called infield fly because that is strictly a judgement call. But as i said the first baseman was playing way in and this ball was by no means a routine fly ball. The runner on first held up long enough to realize the 2nd baseman wasnt going to get to it before taking off. But the second baseman may have caught it had she not been bumped it was a close call. Keep in mind these are 11-12 year old little league kids. That call could have gone the infield fly rule or interference depending on who was looking at it. But where we got lost was where to put the runner that had just hit the ball. Im confident she gets first, but cant confirm it in the Little League book or the ASA book.
soupy62

by SoCalASABlue » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 am

ASA Rule 7, Section 6, Item I states "When members of the team at bat, including those in the team area, OTHER THAN RUNNERS (my emphasis added) interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul ball", the batter is out. Since it was a runner that interfered with the fielder, the batter cannot be called out. Therefore, placing the batter on 1B after the interference call, since the ball becomes dead and the batter cannot be thrown out at 1B, was the appropriate call - especially since infield fly was not called.

MHO. ;)
SoCalASABlue

by tcannizzo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 am

soupy62 wrote:As the 2nd baseman moves over to catch it the runner on first makes contact.

Please clarify: was runner ON (motionless) or OFF 1B?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by soupy62 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 pm

runner was a few feet off first.
soupy62

by tcannizzo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 pm

soupy62 wrote:runner was a few feet off first.

Previous post is correct for this situation.
I might have a different ruling if R was standing on base motionless.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by playball13 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 am

If infield fly rule was called, this would have been a double play if the ball was fair, correct?
playball13

by HugoTafurst » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm

playball13 wrote:If infield fly rule was called, this would have been a double play if the ball was fair, correct?

You would have 2 outs.
The BR on the infield fly and the runner for interferring with a fielder fielding a batted ball.
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:45 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
playball13 wrote:If infield fly rule was called, this would have been a double play if the ball was fair, correct?

You would have 2 outs.
The BR on the infield fly and the runner for interferring with a fielder fielding a batted ball.

How can you have IFF on a Dead Ball? :ugeek:
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner