Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

INT or OBS

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:38 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I guess I'm not clear on the deflection of a batted ball off of the pitchers body ( That is considered the initial play ? )

Irrelevant for ASA

... please splain and site rule if you could ... Thanks in advance

ASA's rule used to only address making contact with "another" defender attempting to field a deflected batted ball. A few years ago, there was a housekeeping change that dropped "another" which eliminated any question or need for "initial play" or "one step" rule. All defenders are treated the same whether they were the person off of which the ball deflected or not.

Since the runner has a specific job, you cannot expect them to see a ball go one way and then know that a deflected ball was heading toward them that will bring a fielder into their path, hence the requirement to determine intent.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:57 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I guess I'm not clear on the deflection of a batted ball off of the pitchers body ( That is considered the initial play ? )

Irrelevant for ASA

... please splain and site rule if you could ... Thanks in advance

ASA's rule used to only address making contact with "another" defender attempting to field a deflected batted ball. A few years ago, there was a housekeeping change that dropped "another" which eliminated any question or need for "initial play" or "one step" rule. All defenders are treated the same whether they were the person off of which the ball deflected or not.

Since the runner has a specific job, you cannot expect them to see a ball go one way and then know that a deflected ball was heading toward them that will bring a fielder into their path, hence the requirement to determine intent.

Okay got it ... Thanks ... I guess I was looking for a rule that wasn't there ... again :oops:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by shagpal » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:48 am

rule of thumb of "a step and a reach" might be useful here.

sounds like the ball rolled further than a step and a reach after being deflected.

I'd have OBS.

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Okay ... when I prompted further details ... I was told that IF F1 was able to field the ball cleanly she would have had an out ... AND, if the ball was not fielded cleanly that the BR would have been safe ...
shagpal

by Makina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 am

Great question!! Usually a deflected ball by pitcher goes to another infielder and I've been taught that if the fielder has to take 1 step to field then Int. if has to take several steps to get to ball then it is Obs. In this play the pitcher is apparently fielding her own deflection and I'm guessing that the ball and D2 is in the 1st base running lane? If runner is in the 3 ft running lane, then I just have a crash and no call. If outside the running lane then I have Int. and an out.
Makina

by ajaywill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 am

Makina wrote:Great question!! Usually a deflected ball by pitcher goes to another infielder and I've been taught that if the fielder has to take 1 step to field then Int. if has to take several steps to get to ball then it is Obs. In this play the pitcher is apparently fielding her own deflection and I'm guessing that the ball and D2 is in the 1st base running lane? If runner is in the 3 ft running lane, then I just have a crash and no call. If outside the running lane then I have Int. and an out.

The running lane has absolutley no relevance on this play.
ajaywill

by Makina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Ajaywill: Can u explain as to what your call would b.

Thanks
Makina

by tcannizzo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Makina wrote:In this play the pitcher is apparently fielding her own deflection and I'm guessing that the ball and D2 is in the 1st base running lane? If runner is in the 3 ft running lane, then I just have a crash and no call. If outside the running lane then I have Int. and an out.

The key element that was established earlier in this thread, is that in ASA on a deflected batted ball the runner must intentionally hinder the fielder for it to be INT.

Since that element has never been established on the OP, we cannot make the call from here.

Speculation on my part, but the way I make sense of this is that a clever defender can "manufacture" INT, by deflecting a batted ball into the general direction of a runner and cause it to happen.

This also makes a strong case for OBS in this sitch.

I apply similar logic to this rule as in a tag up on a fly ball. If the runner had to wait for a catch, an outfielder could juggle the ball all the way into the infield. Then we would also have to have an "Outfield Fly Rule", not just an IFF. :ugeek:
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Makina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes after more thought I would say OBS. I'm a little bit confused on the ex: tag up, since runner can leave as soon as fly ball touches fielder.
Makina

by HugoTafurst » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:17 am

Makina wrote:Yes after more thought I would say OBS. I'm a little bit confused on the ex: tag up, since runner can leave as soon as fly ball touches fielder.

Pay no attention to the example - it was just an interesting correlation, but maybe a little obtuse.. I don't think it was as clear on the screen as it was in the writer's mind when he wrote it. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Don't let it confuse your understanding of the deflection/interference/obstruction situatuation
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 am

HugoTafurst wrote:
Makina wrote:Yes after more thought I would say OBS. I'm a little bit confused on the ex: tag up, since runner can leave as soon as fly ball touches fielder.

Pay no attention to the example - it was just an interesting correlation, but maybe a little obtuse.. I don't think it was as clear on the screen as it was in the writer's mind when he wrote it. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Don't let it confuse your understanding of the deflection/interference/obstruction situatuation

That is the beauty of message boards. :oops:
Obtuse is a good word here. It had nothing to do with the original play and was only intended to be an interesting correlation of why certain rules may exist.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner