Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Picture.

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SoCalASABlue » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:49 pm

too far away
SoCalASABlue

by ocsoftball » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Wow he might as well be calling Balls and strikes on a lawn chair in the stands.
ocsoftball

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm

SoCalASABlue wrote:too far away

Wow ... No sh*t Sherlock ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Makina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:42 am

I've actually seen one stand just in front of the catchers box line. They can never see the outside low pitch, so therefore they are guessing. Sometimes they are very good at guessing and sometimes very bad. As a coach u should find out if the blue will call the outside low pitch a strike (two balls off the plate) and then throw it there every other pitch if he does.

Saw another one without a chest protector do this in a 14u travel game, he was afraid of getting hit! So the pitcher threw a ball so hard that it hit the back stop and bounced directly into the middle of his back!!
Makina

by The other Coach Ron » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I have coached for a number of years and have been to a number of clinics. I am not an umpire but have many freinds that are. I have spoke to hundreds of umpires between games to get educated and learn rules and perspectives. I as a coach want the umpire as close to the action as possible and try to position my catcher to give the umpire the best view. If an umpire hooks the catcher as they should I as a coach teach my catchers to use there arms and hook the umpire. So if there is a pop up they throw the ball side arm back behind them and move the blue out of the way. This way they know were they are. How often is there going to be an issue where the umpire is in the way vs how many pitches are thrown.
The other Coach Ron

by MTR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 pm

The other Coach Ron wrote:I have coached for a number of years and have been to a number of clinics. I am not an umpire but have many freinds that are. I have spoke to hundreds of umpires between games to get educated and learn rules and perspectives. I as a coach want the umpire as close to the action as possible and try to position my catcher to give the umpire the best view. If an umpire hooks the catcher as they should

Really? You've talked to hundreds of umpires that believe the PU should be hooking the catcher? In what TWC?

I as a coach teach my catchers to use there arms and hook the umpire. So if there is a pop up they throw the ball side arm back behind them and move the blue out of the way. This way they know were they are. How often is there going to be an issue where the umpire is in the way vs how many pitches are thrown.

WTF are you talking about? A pop-up that the catcher is throwing side-arm back behind whom?

First day with the new script?
MTR

by Sam » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 am

The other Coach Ron wrote:I have coached for a number of years and have been to a number of clinics. I am not an umpire but have many freinds that are. I have spoke to hundreds of umpires between games to get educated and learn rules and perspectives. I as a coach want the umpire as close to the action as possible and try to position my catcher to give the umpire the best view. If an umpire hooks the catcher as they should I as a coach teach my catchers to use there arms and hook the umpire. So if there is a pop up they throw the ball side arm back behind them and move the blue out of the way. This way they know were they are. How often is there going to be an issue where the umpire is in the way vs how many pitches are thrown.

Did you think that this was a NASCAR site? The Hookin and the Poppin? What about the Rippin and the Tearin?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kojak » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I say he forgot his cup ...

:D BEST ANSWER YET!!!!! :D

I would have to concour.
Kojak

by Fifteen's » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Sam wrote:
The other Coach Ron wrote:I have coached for a number of years and have been to a number of clinics. I am not an umpire but have many freinds that are. I have spoke to hundreds of umpires between games to get educated and learn rules and perspectives. I as a coach want the umpire as close to the action as possible and try to position my catcher to give the umpire the best view. If an umpire hooks the catcher as they should I as a coach teach my catchers to use there arms and hook the umpire. So if there is a pop up they throw the ball side arm back behind them and move the blue out of the way. This way they know were they are. How often is there going to be an issue where the umpire is in the way vs how many pitches are thrown.

Did you think that this was a NASCAR site? The Hookin and the Poppin? What about the Rippin and the Tearin?

Oh no you didn't?!?! :lol: That's too funny!
Fifteen's

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner