Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Picture.

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by IndianaSoftball » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 am

I was told that the distance between the umpire and catcher in the attached picture is too great. I would make it extremely difficult to see breaking pitches. The rise ball and drop would be almost impossible to determine and the fact that he is directly behide the catcher is hurting the view also. Aggree? Disagree? Comments?
Seperation distance.JPG
Picture
Seperation distance.JPG (16.37 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
IndianaSoftball

by Bretman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:57 am

Agree...at least with respect to what is taught in most clinics. I guess it might be possible that this guy is 100% accurate on his pitch calls, even standing where he is...but I doubt it.

At the last ASA clinic I attended, they recommended the umpire be "one fist width" from touching the catcher when in his stance. That is, when you're down and set there should be just enough room to slide a closed fist in between the closest part of the umpire (which is usually his knee) and the catcher. I find myself just a little bit farther back than that sometimes...certainly never a far back as in this picture.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by MTR » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Bretman wrote:At the last ASA clinic I attended, they recommended the umpire be "one fist width" from touching the catcher when in his stance. That is, when you're down and set there should be just enough room to slide a closed fist in between the closest part of the umpire (which is usually his knee) and the catcher. I find myself just a little bit farther back than that sometimes...certainly never a far back as in this picture.

Yeah, they started teaching that at NCAA evals a few years ago. I disagree with it as it is too close. Nowhere in the ASA umpire manual does it suggest such an alignment. If working a true heel-toe, it is quite possible the umpire may seem to be hooking the catcher.
MTR

by Bretman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:58 pm

MTR wrote:
Bretman wrote:At the last ASA clinic I attended, they recommended the umpire be "one fist width" from touching the catcher when in his stance. That is, when you're down and set there should be just enough room to slide a closed fist in between the closest part of the umpire (which is usually his knee) and the catcher. I find myself just a little bit farther back than that sometimes...certainly never a far back as in this picture.

Yeah, they started teaching that at NCAA evals a few years ago. I disagree with it as it is too close. Nowhere in the ASA umpire manual does it suggest such an alignment. If working a true heel-toe, it is quite possible the umpire may seem to be hooking the catcher.

I know what you mean about "hooking" the catcher. That is why I find myself moving back just a little. The "one fist" thing just seems too darn close most of the time. Maybe I'm a foot back of the catcher, in the slot, leaning forward just a bit, then adjusted up or down enough that I can see the entire plate and strike zone.

Certainly not 4-6 feet back like the guy in the picture. No way can he see the entire plate or strike zone. The lovely view of the back of the catcher's head doesn't really help in calling balls or strikes!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 am

I say he forgot his cup ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 am

Bretman wrote:Certainly not 4-6 feet back like the guy in the picture. No way can he see the entire plate or strike zone. The lovely view of the back of the catcher's head doesn't really help in calling balls or strikes!

Few years ago I had an umpire (assigned to a NC) whose position was 6' behind the catcher in the same crouch every time for every batter. Always worked the RH slot (even for LH). Please note, from this particular area, the District Commissioners assign umpires to NC, not the UIC.

I was told this umpire worked HS and all local youth ball and was never told his mechanics were wrong :o Funny thing was, his calls were relatively accurate. Have no idea how he saw the plate let alone the outside corner, but no one including myself and assistant had any issues with his calls.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I say he forgot his cup ...

:D BEST ANSWER YET!!!!! :D
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 am

MTR wrote:
Bretman wrote:Certainly not 4-6 feet back like the guy in the picture. No way can he see the entire plate or strike zone. The lovely view of the back of the catcher's head doesn't really help in calling balls or strikes!

Few years ago I had an umpire (assigned to a NC) whose position was 6' behind the catcher in the same crouch every time for every batter. Always worked the RH slot (even for LH). Please note, from this particular area, the District Commissioners assign umpires to NC, not the UIC.

I was told this umpire worked HS and all local youth ball and was never told his mechanics were wrong :o Funny thing was, his calls were relatively accurate. Have no idea how he saw the plate let alone the outside corner, but no one including myself and assistant had any issues with his calls.

Probably a former coach who could call balls and strikes perfectly from sitting on a bucket!
You know the type... :roll:
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by shagpal » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 am

that's the lazy gerry davis stance
shagpal

by Sam » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:57 pm

One thing is for sure.....he has a better view of the zone than any parent or coach during the game. :shock:
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner