Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Crashing the plate

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by dittoz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 am

Triple Crown Sparkler - 16u

Catcher is standing in the base-path, not sure if path was totally obstructed but she was definitely hindering. Runner comes around 3b at speed on a hit and continues to the plate - never slowing up (much). She put her hands out, lowered her shoulder a bit and absolutely steamrolled the catcher who had not yet caught the ball. In retrospect, she had probably either been coached to do this or at the very least it was a pre-planned action. Way to violent and intentional to have been incidental.

Everyone goes bananas and the first thing the umpire does is to tell the catcher to calm down! 3b coach and dugout coach from defense both converge on plate umpire who spends 5 minutes waving and pointing. Runner's coach wisely stood back and let things unwind. Eventually he joined the conversation and calmly discussed things with defensive coaches and both umps. PU wound it all up by warning both benches not to escalate anything further.

No warning to the baserunner, no ejection - NADA. He said that because the catcher was in the way and the runner had a right to the plate that it was "play on"...

SAY WHAT???!
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by rbi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 am

I hate this play and the runner is in a no win situation. She slows down to avoid out of position catcher, she will probably get tagged out, she slides into catcher good chance she will come up short and or possibly get seriously hurt. She hook slides as some would recommend, she gets out as it takes another two steps to do so. I put this one on the defensive coachs for not teaching proper catching mechanics. This runner did exactly what i would teach my kid. Sooner or later catcher will get the idea.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh I agree and argue this all the time on here but, I have been blasted by Umpires saying, "we call it all the time", REALLY c'mon man, I have never seen it called and have been to a gazillion too many games. I guess we have not had the good blues working our games :roll:
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 pm

In my game, runner is Out and Gone!
There is no provision for warnings for USC.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 pm

tcannizzo wrote:In my game, runner is Out and Gone!
There is no provision for warnings for USC.

If it happened exactly as the obviously unbiased original poster described it. ;) ;)
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Spazsdad wrote:That's because very few umpires will call obstruction.

Here is your best action when this happens.
After all action has stopped at the end of the play, request "Time".
When Time is granted, walk to the umpire who made the non-call.
Ask this question, "Blue did you happen to notice how my runner was impeded (checked up, slowed down, changed direction, etc.) by the defender who did not have the ball at that time?"
Blue has 2 choices, Yes or No.

If Yes, then you can say, "Then by rule, we have OBS" and if it is not called after this, put $100 on home plate and call for the UIC and protest. (OK putting money on home plate is over-dramatic.) :roll:

If No, then ask if he had a good view of the runner.
If not, you have a legitimate request for him to ask for help from a partner.

Or he is simply lying, in which case all you can say is "Good Call, Blue"
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by vcblue » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

tcannizzo wrote:

Ask this question, "Blue did you happen to notice how my runner was impeded (checked up, slowed down, changed direction, etc.) by the defender who did not have the ball at that time?"

If Yes, then you can say, "Then by rule, we have OBS" and if it is not called after this, put $100 on home plate and call for the UIC and protest. (OK putting money on home plate is over-dramatic.) :roll:

I have obstruction when the catcher doesn't have the ball and the runner comes in standing up, and doesn't lower her shoulder or do some type of forearm rip. Also let's say she did come in shoulder lowered, but the catcher does not have the ball. How do you call her out? Under what rule? You may have an ejection, but don't you have to score the run?
vcblue

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 pm

vcblue wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:

I have obstruction when the catcher doesn't have the ball and the runner comes in standing up, and doesn't lower her shoulder or do some type of forearm rip. Also let's say she did come in shoulder lowered, but the catcher does not have the ball. How do you call her out? Under what rule? You may have an ejection, but don't you have to score the run?

Depends on the exact rule set, but many have a malicious contact rule which superceeds obstruction - if the malicious contact happens before the runner touches the plate.
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Un-Sportsmanlike Conduct.
Like a Supreme Court Justice once said, "It is hard to define, but I know it when I see it.
Out, Gone and No run scored.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by MTR » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 pm

rbi wrote:Oh I agree and argue this all the time on here but, I have been blasted by Umpires saying, "we call it all the time", REALLY c'mon man, I have never seen it called and have been to a gazillion too many games. I guess we have not had the good blues working our games :roll:

And I'm one of them. I do call it all the time. And I teach umpires to call it anytime they see it regardless of the game situation or perceived intent of either player. And if I observe an umpire letting something get by, the umpire is questioned after the game and, if necessary, counseled.

It is not a hard rule. Umpires who choose not to call it have either placed their beliefs above the rules of the game or are GAGAs and afraid of confrontation if they make the right decision.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner