Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher's Obstruction?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wcgfastpitch » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:56 pm

What is the call? R1 on 1st and the batter is executing a fake bunt with the pitch in flight towards the plate the batter pulls the bat back and the bat comes in contact with the catcher. This all happens very quickly. What is the right call from an umpires perspective?
wcgfastpitch

by Comp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:02 am

Its not catchers obstruction unless the batter is attempting to hit the pitch. Withdrawing the bat is not an attempt to strike at the ball.

If the batter was simply pulling the bat back normally and the catcher had moved forward slightly sensing a possible steal, I have nothing. But, I have seen a trend lately where batters have been taught to purposely draw the bat back directly into the catchers face in a long arcing motion to try and distract the catcher. If the batter were to do this, I have interference on the batter, dead ball, batter out.
Comp

by MTR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:50 am

Comp wrote:Its not catchers obstruction unless the batter is attempting to hit the pitch. Withdrawing the bat is not an attempt to strike at the ball.

While I don't disagree with this, just because a batter pulls a bat back does not mean they are forfeiting their right to hit the ball. Of course, it is HTBT as the umpire must make the judgment on the action.
MTR

by wcgfastpitch » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm

What does the rule book state about this situation?
wcgfastpitch

by Comp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Its rather long to type the whole rule, but its ASA 8-1-D (1-4) if you have access to a rule book.

But the main section of the rule dealing with this situation is D, "When a catcher obstructs a batter's attempt to hit a pitched ball."

Generally speaking, withdrawing the bat is just that and is not an attempt to hit the pitch. To go along with what MTR said above, in some cases the batter may show bunt, pull back and then swing, but it would ultimately be the umpires judgement as to if it were an attempt to hit the pitch or was simply withdrawing the bat.
Comp

by HugoTafurst » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:41 am

And that is why we get the big bucks!
Keeping in mind what has been said, there is no ONE answer. Too many "if's" that the Plat Umpire needs to be watching.
That having been said, I think I generally give the benefit of the doubt to the batter.
And THAT having been said, I also am always looking to make sure it is not an "intentional" act of interference by the batter.

Such hard work!!
HugoTafurst

by playball13 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

If there was a base runner and they were stealing would you have INT on the batter?
playball13

by Comp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

playball13 wrote:If there was a base runner and they were stealing would you have INT on the batter?

Another would have to see it play. If the catcher hadnt left their initial position and I felt the batter drew the bat back into the catcher, I may rule interference. If the catcher moved up and got into the batters vacinity anticipating the steal, I probably have a dumb move on the catcher and have no call on it.
Comp

by tcannizzo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Comp wrote:
playball13 wrote:If there was a base runner and they were stealing would you have INT on the batter?

Another would have to see it play. If the catcher hadnt left their initial position and I felt the batter drew the bat back into the catcher, I may rule interference. If the catcher moved up and got into the batters vacinity anticipating the steal, I probably have a dumb move on the catcher and have no call on it.

Not sure I can go along with this.
a.) If B drew the bat back into F2, there is no question - DB INT!
b.) If F2 moved up into B vacinity to make an attempt to retire R, why is this DMC? F2 has every right to go wherever she needs to in order to make the play. If B actively hinders F2 it is DB INT every time.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Comp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 am

F2 does not have the right to "go wherever she needs" to make the play. F2 cannot catch the pitch before the batter has had the opportunity to hit it, or it is in fact catchers obstruction.
Comp

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner