Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

You make the call - Throw hits batters helmet

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by vcblue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 am

Bretman wrote:
vcblue wrote:
Comp wrote:Now you are dealing with a different section of the rule book. The batter is entitled to occupy the batters box. If they are leaning over the plate or moving around in the box and interfere with the throw they would be guilty of interference.

Wrong see above

No, not wrong at all. The batter's box is not a sanctuary. There's a big difference between a batter being in a normal batting position (and thus exempt from interference) and moving around inside the box away from that normal position, or hanging out of the box over the plate (making interference a possibility).

Ya your right I had to re-read. But the batter can be over the plate as long as that is where her swing took her or moving in the box if that was the end of her swing.
vcblue

by opticyellow » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:08 pm

A little twist on this situation, which happened recently.

R1 on 2nd base, B2 takes called 3rd strike. R1 attepts steal of 3rd base. F2 pops up and throws ball toward 3rd base which deflects off B2. PU has B2 with interference and R1 out. It didn't look like B2 moved in the box, but obviously it becomes a judgement call. As a spectator to the play, it seemed everything was ok with the call, unless you wanted to debate whether B2 actually interferred with the play.

After the game I heard the PU talking about the play with a coach. The PU said that since B2 had struck out she had no right to the batters box so standing there or not if the ball hits her its inteference. That was a new one on me. I looked around for a reference to that rule or a refrence to when the batter has to vacate the box after being declared an out and found nothing. Can soeone point me in the right direction? Thanx
opticyellow

by tcannizzo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Speaking ASA, for INT, B must actively hinder F2.
Motionless in the batter's box does not constitute active hindrance. B just can't go "poof" and is not expected to just vaporize.

Post-game conversations between umpires and coaches are frowned upon, especially in competitive play.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 pm

tcannizzo wrote:Speaking ASA, for INT, B must actively hinder F2.
Motionless in the batter's box does not constitute active hindrance. B just can't go "poof" and is not expected to just vaporize.

Post-game conversations between umpires and coaches are frowned upon, especially in competitive play.

Yeah, but some umpires can't help themselves.
:( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
HugoTafurst

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner