Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I think they made this one up........

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by INBLUE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 am

Play at the plate. Catcher. Big Girl. Runner coming home. Little girl. Initial play will be at the plate on a throw from center (relay by SS). Catcher is going to tag runner and then try and make second play on batter-runner who attempted to stretch a double into a triple. Momentum of the catchers tag and the opposite momentum of the runner cause the runner to be knocked down. NO INTENT TO HARM was done. (A) I know the catcher (B) the play or the game had been smooth. Umpires “warn” catcher of “excessive force”. Now I have heard of malicious contact by an offensive player. I have heard of Unsporting behavior by offense or defense. But, “excessive force” ? This is a new one. Anyone? :?:

USFA, was being played but would like to know if any organization has this particular ruling.
INBLUE

by MTR » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am

INBLUE wrote:Play at the plate. Catcher. Big Girl. Runner coming home. Little girl. Initial play will be at the plate on a throw from center (relay by SS). Catcher is going to tag runner and then try and make second play on batter-runner who attempted to stretch a double into a triple. Momentum of the catchers tag and the opposite momentum of the runner cause the runner to be knocked down. NO INTENT TO HARM was done. (A) I know the catcher (B) the play or the game had been smooth. Umpires “warn” catcher of “excessive force”. Now I have heard of malicious contact by an offensive player. I have heard of Unsporting behavior by offense or defense. But, “excessive force” ? This is a new one. Anyone? :?:

USFA, was being played but would like to know if any organization has this particular ruling.

What difference do the words make, the point was made. Maybe the umpires were defense attornies or judges and that just happens to be a term with which they are familiar. :D
MTR

by INBLUE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:30 pm

I think words make a big difference. You toss my catcher for something not in the book. I get the UIC.
INBLUE

by EzOut.EzOut » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 pm

But, the catcher was not ejected.
EzOut.EzOut

by Jalamander » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:47 pm

INBLUE wrote:I think words make a big difference. You toss my catcher for something not in the book. I get the UIC.

PU: Coach, Find me another catcher. This ones gone. She shouldn't have hit that runner so hard. She used excessive force on that last play.
Coach: "Excessive Force?" What is that? "Excessive Force" is not in the book. I Protest. I'm calling the UIC.
PU: Okay, She's gone for "Malicious Contact." Now, go find me another catcher.

Wow! Score one for you coach. You win...big time!

Jalamander
Jalamander

by MTR » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm

INBLUE wrote:I think words make a big difference. You toss my catcher for something not in the book. I get the UIC.

And that will get you absolutely nothing. I don't give a damn what "words" are used. There is no list or glossary of permissible phrases to eject a player. The player would have been ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct no matter what words were used to reach that point.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:20 pm

INBLUE wrote:Play at the plate. Catcher. Big Girl. Runner coming home. Little girl. Initial play will be at the plate on a throw from center (relay by SS). Catcher is going to tag runner and then try and make second play on batter-runner who attempted to stretch a double into a triple. Momentum of the catchers tag and the opposite momentum of the runner cause the runner to be knocked down. NO INTENT TO HARM was done. (A) I know the catcher (B) the play or the game had been smooth. Umpires “warn” catcher of “excessive force”. Now I have heard of malicious contact by an offensive player. I have heard of Unsporting behavior by offense or defense. But, “excessive force” ? This is a new one. Anyone? :?:

Big girl / Small girl have NO bearing on the call ( or shouldn't ) ... IF the catcher had the ball and the runner, irregardless of size, crashes into the back stop in a malicious way ... I may have malicious contact on the runner but not the catcher ( HTBT ) ... BUT, if the backstop has the ball and slams the baserunner into the ground ( AKA Chief Jay Strongbow ) ... thats another story ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 pm

This is what we used to call a "Tournament Tag".
Malicious is, as malicious does.
A solid tag is as much of the game as sliding in hard to break up a double play.
Sounds like, too bad too sad.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by SnocatzDad » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Big girl / Small girl have NO bearing on the call ( or shouldn't ) ... ..

But in almost every sport at every level it does. Big kid hits little kid = foul/ejection/penalty/obstuction etc....

Little kid hits big kid = cheers from the crowd for being tough and no call
SnocatzDad

by HugoTafurst » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

1) I can use whatever words I feel like to describe the reason for ejecting your player.
Thank you for donating the protest fee..... :D

2) Other than that, all you are saying in th OP is that in your opinion there was no problem. Obviously the umpire saw it differently or at least saw something that didn't look right, that is why he WARNED your player. Guess who's opinion counts.. :roll:
HugoTafurst

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner