Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

the on deck circle

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:46 am

chinamigarden wrote:I can't believe the number of coaches who don't even know what constitutes a fair or foul ball. I tell my kids the same thing every year. When is a ball foul? When the umpire says it is. Run until the umpire says its a foul ball. This past year the other coach on my team ads to the girls, thats right, unless you see the ball hit the plate because thats foul automatically. This is a guy who has coached baseball for 12 years and softball for 7. I have seen coaches argue with umps that the ball hit in foul territory, and the fact that it ended up fair doesn't matter, I have seen coaches argue that the ball hit the batters box and that means its foul.

Actually, in NFHS either last year or the year before foul balls were a point of focus ... So, although I personally did not see it, there must be some confusion amongst Umpires as well ... In particular, I believe it was addressing bounding balls on, over or near bases ...

The three situations you mention are commonly misunderstood ... Nice of your other coach to undermine your attempt at getting the girls to play on until the Umpire makes the call :lol: ... Even if his situation was a foul, until the Umpire calls it foul, play on ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner