Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

the on deck circle

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Bretman wrote:Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Being here in the heart of Reds country (well, it's Reds country when the Reds are winning, but Indians country when the Tribe is winning!) I can distinctly remember watching this game on TV.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7220.shtml

And I thought I didn't have a life :o

Good reminder, it was four batters, not one. However, my most vivid memory of the game was Rose and staff going crazy trying to find a rule to protest. Obviously, Rose found that rule as often as he found a winner with his bookie!

Just as a side note, I have absolutely no problem with any sports figure, management or participant gambling in favor of his/her team. For that matter, I believe is should be contractually required and no, I'm not joking.
MTR

by PDad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:44 pm

MTR wrote:
Bretman wrote:Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Being here in the heart of Reds country (well, it's Reds country when the Reds are winning, but Indians country when the Tribe is winning!) I can distinctly remember watching this game on TV.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7220.shtml

And I thought I didn't have a life :o

Good reminder, it was four batters, not one.

Amazing that both McDowell and Orosco stayed in the game for the last 4-1/3 innings of a 14 inning game. McDowell pitched the last 2 innings after playing in the OF for 5 batters.

Just as a side note, I have absolutely no problem with any sports figure, management or participant gambling in favor of his/her team. For that matter, I believe is should be contractually required and no, I'm not joking.

Management does bet on their team - the stakes are their job (i.e. next contract).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:29 pm

PDad wrote:Management does bet on their team - the stakes are their job (i.e. next contract).

And could you imagine the intensity of the game if each player had $20K on their team to win?

The way I see it is if they players want a cut of the gate, TV & merchandise revenue, they should be willing to take the same risk as the owner(s).
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 pm

MTR wrote:
PDad wrote:Management does bet on their team - the stakes are their job (i.e. next contract).

And could you imagine the intensity of the game if each player had $20K on their team to win?
The way I see it is if they players want a cut of the gate, TV & merchandise revenue, they should be willing to take the same risk as the owner(s).

Intensity ... $20K ! ... Fastballs high and tight ... Priceless !
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Makina » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 am

Yes, it is amazing what these announcers say. Last year during the College World Series - 2010 the Arizona pitcher was getting called for illegal pitches. One of the announcers, I think Michelle Smith started blaming the umpires for not calling the illegal pitches when the pitcher was a youth. Stating that she's gotten away with it for her whole life. Wow what a cop-out!!

1. Alot of pitching coaches teach pitchers how to push the envelope on illegal pitches.
2. Showcase tournaments give specific instructions to the umpires to not call illegal pitches
3. All college teams were warned before the 2010 season started that the umpires would specifically be watching and calling illegal pitches.
Makina

by Makina » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 am

Include coaches in that statement. During a Rec ball game, I had a coach tell me that the pitcher was throwing an illegal pitch. And that he had coached travel ball for 5+ years so he should know.

What he said was that the pitcher was required to present the ball and that she was hiding the ball by walking onto the pitching plate with the ball in her glove and then reaching in her glove and then delivering the ball.

I tried so hard to contain my laughter!! :shock:
Makina

by SnocatzDad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Makina wrote:Include coaches in that statement. During a Rec ball game, I had a coach tell me that the pitcher was throwing an illegal pitch. And that he had coached travel ball for 5+ years so he should know.

What he said was that the pitcher was required to present the ball and that she was hiding the ball by walking onto the pitching plate with the ball in her glove and then reaching in her glove and then delivering the ball.

I tried so hard to contain my laughter!! :shock:

I used to see umpires call this as an illegal pitch (more than 5 years ago) by incorrectly interpreting ASA Rule 6 section 1 D. "the pitcher shall take the signal or appear to take the signal with the hands seperated. The ball must remain in either the glove or the pitching hand" the bold part I beleive was added at some point to clarify that it was legal to seperate the hands with the ball in either, some umpires prior to that seemed to feel it had to be in the pitching hand and would refer to it as presenting the ball.
SnocatzDad

by MTR » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:14 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:
I used to see umpires call this as an illegal pitch (more than 5 years ago) by incorrectly interpreting ASA Rule 6 section 1 D. "the pitcher shall take the signal or appear to take the signal with the hands seperated. The ball must remain in either the glove or the pitching hand" the bold part I beleive was added at some point to clarify that it was legal to seperate the hands with the ball in either, some umpires prior to that seemed to feel it had to be in the pitching hand and would refer to it as presenting the ball.

Long ago, pitchers were required to stand on the PP with the hands together. There was no requirement to step on while separated. When they separated the pitch began (just as it is now). For at least the last 11 years, it has been the way it is now. I believe the "presenting" the ball came from the SP game, but in today's game the "present the ball" belief is a myth.
MTR

by Makina » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Whenever a coach comes to me and use the words "Present" or "Balk" I totally ignore what they have to say, because I know they do not know what they are talking about.
Makina

by chinamigarden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 pm

I can't believe the number of coaches who don't even know what constitutes a fair or foul ball. I tell my kids the same thing every year. When is a ball foul? When the umpire says it is. Run until the umpire says its a foul ball. This past year the other coach on my team ads to the girls, thats right, unless you see the ball hit the plate because thats foul automatically. This is a guy who has coached baseball for 12 years and softball for 7. I have seen coaches argue with umps that the ball hit in foul territory, and the fact that it ended up fair doesn't matter, I have seen coaches argue that the ball hit the batters box and that means its foul.
chinamigarden

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner