Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Based loaded batter gets hit by pitch

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Imperial SB Dad wrote:This happened in a MLB game the other night. Padres vs. Diamonbacks. By MLB rules the only runner that matters is the one crossing the plate because as soon as the run scores the game is over.

MLB has a special dispensation in cases where the run is forced home by an awarded base (HBP or walk). In all other cases, where the run may have crossed on a batted ball, the appealed third (or even fourth, in special cases) being a force out would keep the run from scoring.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bretman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Imperial SB Dad wrote:This happened in a MLB game the other night. Padres vs. Diamonbacks. By MLB rules the only runner that matters is the one crossing the plate because as soon as the run scores the game is over.

As noted, baseball does have a different ruling.

Plus, what you have posted is not exactly true. One other runner does matter- the batter-runner. He still has to touch first base.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by blue76 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Just curious.... What if the batter had been incapacitated? She was unable to reach first...

Is she now the third out?
blue76

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm

blue76 wrote:Just curious.... What if the batter had been incapacitated? She was unable to reach first...

Is she now the third out?

Put in a legal substitute to do the base running duties.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by thor2173 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 pm

doesn't she have to get to first before you can sub?
Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hitting.
Yogi Berra
thor2173

by MTR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 pm

thor2173 wrote:doesn't she have to get to first before you can sub?

No, not if the runner becomes incapacitated prior to reaching 1B
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 am

I never understood why the Central Washington kids carried Sara Tucholsky around the field. I mean it made a fantastic story, but could they have subed for her?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:25 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:I never understood why the Central Washington kids carried Sara Tucholsky around the field. I mean it made a fantastic story, but could they have subed for her?

If I recall the story correctly, after the fact and researching the rules, yes I believe they could have substituted for her to complete the base running, but, at the time the umpires ruled she could not be subbed for. I believe they were also asked if her own teammates could assist her and they were told no. That is when the Washington players asked what if they helped her run the bases. The umpires then ruled there was nothing in the rules preventing the defense from assisting the offense.
Comp

by MTR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am

Comp wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:I never understood why the Central Washington kids carried Sara Tucholsky around the field. I mean it made a fantastic story, but could they have subed for her?

If I recall the story correctly, after the fact and researching the rules, yes I believe they could have substituted for her to complete the base running, but, at the time the umpires ruled she could not be subbed for. I believe they were also asked if her own teammates could assist her and they were told no. That is when the Washington players asked what if they helped her run the bases. The umpires then ruled there was nothing in the rules preventing the defense from assisting the offense.

From what I recall, the idea of a sub wasn't raised, they were just told by the umpires that her teammates could not help her, so here non-teammates did.

The umpires SHOULD have taken a pro-active approach and asked for a substitute.
MTR

by shockcoach » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

MTR wrote:
Comp wrote:

From what I recall, the idea of a sub wasn't raised, they were just told by the umpires that her teammates could not help her, so here non-teammates did.

The umpires SHOULD have taken a pro-active approach and asked for a substitute.

The umpires had it wrong.
From the story on ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/ ... id=3372631

Umpires confirmed that the only option available under the rules was to replace Tucholsky at first base with a pinch runner and have the hit recorded as a two-run single instead of a three-run home run. Any assistance from coaches or trainers while she was an active runner would result in an out. So without any choice, Knox prepared to make the substitution, taking both the run and the memory from Tucholsky.
shockcoach

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner