Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Parent Behavior

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Makina » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 am

I was umpiring at a tournament and my base partner made a controversial non-call on a tag play between 1st and 2nd that the Defensive team felt was an out. They asked for me to help my partner and since I was about 80 ft. away and did not actually see the tag, I could not advise my partner that I had seen an out occur.

During the rest of the game the parents of this team constantly made rude comments and remarks to me and my partner and in general where really nasty, even though there were no more controversial calls during the rest of the game!!

Parents - FYI at the 18U showcase tournaments, if a college scout see/hears this type of behavior from the kids parents, they will cross your daughter's name off of their recruiting list!!!
:o
Makina

by NumeroUno » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 am

:o The coach of the team is to blame and I want to say more about this but I have to get going, be back soon.

Classless starts at the top
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by artomatic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:40 am

agree w/Uno, a team from the players to the parents will mirror their coach's actions.
Because of the boundaries set on our team, and most teams as you go up in age, that behavior is so foreign, it sticks out whenever I see it.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 am

Was at 2 different exposure tournaments in Vegas years ago and saw the following things happen that just leave you shaking your head.

Didnt happen in our game but the field behind us. Remember, exposure tournament, and as I recall I believe it was 1:30 drop dead time limit. Close play at plate, ump bangs runner out. Out comes coach arguing the call, asking plate ump to go for help on a play that happened 2' from him. Plate ump obliges, coach still doesnt like answer and continues to argue. This went on for at least 10 minutes. Ummm, hellllllooooooo, exposure tournament, drop dead time limit. You just ate up 10 minutes of playing/exposure time.

This one actually happened in one of my daughters games. Opposing teams coaches and parents constantly riding the umps. Every call no matter how obvious has the coach out of the dugout questioning the call. Literally every pitch the parents in the stands are going nuts on the pitch calls. Game ends on a tag play between 2nd & 3rd on a runner who would have been the tieing run for the opposing team. Again, coach goes nuts, parents are screaming. Umpires walk off the field and as they are headed past the bleachers one of the parents from the other team throws a large soda at the umpires and explodes it all over them. We were told later the event organizers told the team to pack thier things and leave the tournament and they would never be allowed to enter again.
Comp

by MTR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Comp wrote:This one actually happened in one of my daughters games. Opposing teams coaches and parents constantly riding the umps. Every call no matter how obvious has the coach out of the dugout questioning the call. Literally every pitch the parents in the stands are going nuts on the pitch calls. Game ends on a tag play between 2nd & 3rd on a runner who would have been the tieing run for the opposing team. Again, coach goes nuts, parents are screaming. Umpires walk off the field and as they are headed past the bleachers one of the parents from the other team throws a large soda at the umpires and explodes it all over them. We were told later the event organizers told the team to pack thier things and leave the tournament and they would never be allowed to enter again.

There is a way to handle this type of fan.

First you dump the coach (don't know why that didn't happen) then you walk to the backstop, find the biggest mouth and ask, "which one is your daughter?"

Official, I would never approve of this, but I certainly wouldn't beat someone up if something similar occurred. :lol:
MTR

by shockcoach » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

MTR wrote:There is a way to handle this type of fan.

First you dump the coach (don't know why that didn't happen) then you walk to the backstop, find the biggest mouth and ask, "which one is your daughter?"

Official, I would never approve of this, but I certainly wouldn't beat someone up if something similar occurred. :lol:

This is something that I agree needs to happen more. Umpires should dump these coaches. They wait until it gets really bad. If a coach comes out and argues balls and strikes, you quickly ask them if they are arguing a judgment call, because that will get them a view from the parking lot. If they continue, bounce them out.

I guarantee if you start tossing them, the will be less inclined to argue every call during the next game. It will also get the TD's attention as certain coaches are always getting tossed. And they won't want them back.
shockcoach

Return to The Umpire Corner