Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by DOUBLE_L » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:20 pm

While attempting to throw out a runner the catchers throwing hand hits plate umpire, runner safe. Umpire calls "umpire interference" runner back to 1st and no pitch. Never have seen before, was this a correct call?
Don't you know bout the bird...Everybody knows the bird is the word.
DOUBLE_L
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:42 am

Partially correct. The umpire interfered with the throw to 2nd, not the pitch so have no idea why he would have declared it a no pitch.

The correct call is to indicate a delayed dead ball at the moment the umpire made contact with the catcher. If the runner is thrown out, the play stands. If the runner is safe, they are returned to the previous base.
Comp

by DOUBLE_L » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks, not the answer I expected. So if the plate umpire got in the way of a catcher going after a past ball would that also be interference. I would consider this similar but have never heard it called.
DOUBLE_L
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 am

DOUBLE_L wrote:Thanks, not the answer I expected. So if the plate umpire got in the way of a catcher going after a past ball would that also be interference. I would consider this similar but have never heard it called.

Actually, no. Similar isn't the same.

There are exactly two times that umpire interference can happen; no other time is the umpire anything but part of the field.

1) If hit by an untouched batted ball before it passes an infielder (other than pitcher); or
2) If umpire interferes with a catcher's attempt to throw out a runner on a steal or pickoff.

Those two instances are not examples nor considered similar to anything else. They are the sole exceptions to the standard rule.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DOUBLE_L » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks
DOUBLE_L
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:38 am

UmpSteve wrote:
DOUBLE_L wrote:Thanks, not the answer I expected. So if the plate umpire got in the way of a catcher going after a past ball would that also be interference. I would consider this similar but have never heard it called.

Actually, no. Similar isn't the same.

There are exactly two times that umpire interference can happen; no other time is the umpire anything but part of the field.

1) If hit by an untouched batted ball before it passes an infielder (other than pitcher); or2) If umpire interferes with a catcher's attempt to throw out a runner on a steal or pickoff.

Those two instances are not examples nor considered similar to anything else. They are the sole exceptions to the standard rule.

I don't believe I've ever seen this happen ... And given the mechanics I was taught and if the defense is in a typically alignment, is it possible if the Blue is not out of position or taking a nap for it to happen ?

EDIT: I should have said 'likely', because anything is possible ... But it seems it would be more 'likely' with baseball mechanics for this to happen.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 am

Based on the prescribed starting positions the umpires are suppose to be in by the manual, no it should not be able to happen. We are to be positioned behind the infielders at the time of the pitch, so to get hit by a batted ball before an infielder has a chance to field it the umpire would have to be totally out of position.
Comp

by UmpSteve » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 am

Comp wrote:Based on the prescribed starting positions the umpires are suppose to be in by the manual, no it should not be able to happen. We are to be positioned behind the infielders at the time of the pitch, so to get hit by a batted ball before an infielder has a chance to field it the umpire would have to be totally out of position.

And are you saying umpires are never out of position? In any event, if it should happen, there is a rule to cover it,

BTW, there is (or was) a USSSA mechanic for slowpitch, at least, putting the base umpire inside the infield up the middle. I don't know the details, have never learned or call U-trip, but have been told that is a mcehanic.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 am

UmpSteve wrote:
Comp wrote:Based on the prescribed starting positions the umpires are suppose to be in by the manual, no it should not be able to happen. We are to be positioned behind the infielders at the time of the pitch, so to get hit by a batted ball before an infielder has a chance to field it the umpire would have to be totally out of position.

And are you saying umpires are never out of position? In any event, if it should happen, there is a rule to cover it,

BTW, there is (or was) a USSSA mechanic for slowpitch, at least, putting the base umpire inside the infield up the middle. I don't know the details, have never learned or call U-trip, but have been told that is a mcehanic.

I did see this :

With runners on 2nd & 3rd ... F5 playing up and F6 playing normal depth ... I know one Ump that I have seen positioned about 10 feet off the line and 5 feet behind the bag ... If hard hit ball was to get past F5 and hit the Blue when F6 still had an opportunity to field the ball and make an out ... ( Being lazy and not opening the book right now at work ) Do we have Umpire INT ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
I did see this :

With runners on 2nd & 3rd ... F5 playing up and F6 playing normal depth ... I know one Ump that I have seen positioned about 10 feet off the line and 5 feet behind the bag ... If hard hit ball was to get past F5 and hit the Blue when F6 still had an opportunity to field the ball and make an out ... ( Being lazy and not opening the book right now at work ) Do we have Umpire INT ?

I doubt it. As it comes to umpire positioning, as long as the umpire is behind a direct line between the two closest players, the umpire is considered "behind" the fielder even though it is possible to be in front of one of the two.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner