Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NCAA INT Question - new rule ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:40 am

Is there a 'new rule' this year in NCAA regarding INT by a baserunner on a fileder trying to make the initial play on a batted ball that would not kill the play ? Yesterday, in this situation I saw a Delayed Dead Ball signaled, Umpires met after the play and called the offending baserunner out. The OC argued and all I was able to hear was ' new rule this year ' ... After the game, some fans were looking for an explanantion and the Umpire again stated ' new rule this year ' ... But then I over heard him saying something about the defensive coach having the choice to take the outcome of the play or the INT call ... :?:

* The complaining OC coach was run before the end of the game, it was well deserved having called the Plate Umpire a Jack A*s from across the field.
** Another side note : I thought this Ump managed and called a good game aside form the INT call which left me cornfused ... HOWEVER, he was checking football scores on his phone in between innings which I did not think was appropriate.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Bretman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Maybe it's a new rule because he just invented it...

Current NCAA rule book says this is a dead ball. See 12.9.7

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/SR11.pdf

Next year (2012) there is a new rule that says when a runner leaves base before the release of a pitch, instead of an immediate dead ball it is a delayed dead all and the defensive coach gets to choose the result of the play or the out on the runner for leaving early.

This is so close to what this umpire seemed to be telling evryone that you have to wonder if this is wht he meant. It is a new rule, it does make something that was previosly an immediate dead all a delayed dead ball and it does involve a coach choosing the result of the play or the penalty. But...that rule doesn't go into effect until 2012 and it applies to an entirely different situation.

Could it have been that they were using the 2012 rule in this game and the runner did leave base too soon? That would explain the call.
Last edited by Bretman on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Comp » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:14 pm

The only new rule I am aware of that is a delayed dead ball signal is for a runner leaving early. The new NCAA rule is to indicate a delayed dead ball if the base runner leaves early and let the play proceed. If the offense then hits into a double play, the defense gets to keep both outs, otherwise it is declared a no pitch and the base runner is called out for leaving early. Could this possibly have been what was called in the situation you described?
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks guys ... That must have been it ... I was at this Fall Tourny watching DD, but was sick and distracted, fever, head cold, mid 40's - wind blowing, intermitent rain ... SO, I didn't actually see the INT ... The runner on 2nd must have left early ... Being that in this Fall Tourny are the 2012 teams, they must be using the rule change ... Like I said, this Blue called a very good well managed game aside from this call which I didn't understand ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Thanks guys ... That must have been it ... I was at this Fall Tourny watching DD, but was sick and distracted, fever, head cold, mid 40's - wind blowing, intermitent rain ... SO, I didn't actually see the INT ... The runner on 2nd must have left early ... Being that in this Fall Tourny are the 2012 teams, they must be using the rule change ... Like I said, this Blue called a very good well managed game aside from this call which I didn't understand ...

For my Fall assignments, we have been instructed to use the 2012 rules.
I have not had to make that DDB call yet.
I have not met any umpires who are happy with the rule change - Not to say we won't call it, just saying.........
HugoTafurst

by ajaywill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Thanks guys ... That must have been it ... I was at this Fall Tourny watching DD, but was sick and distracted, fever, head cold, mid 40's - wind blowing, intermitent rain ... SO, I didn't actually see the INT ... The runner on 2nd must have left early ... Being that in this Fall Tourny are the 2012 teams, they must be using the rule change ... Like I said, this Blue called a very good well managed game aside from this call which I didn't understand ...

I have not met any umpires who are happy with the rule change - Not to say we won't call it, just saying.........

Ditto....
ajaywill

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm

ajaywill wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:

Ditto....

From a coaching standpoint, I like it ... If there are fewer than 2 outs more than one runner on, a runner leaves early and ball hit in the infield, the defense turns two or 3 ... Who wouldn't rather the 2 or 3 outs instead of one ? Curious why they didn't make it an appeal play though ? I guess either way ( from an Umpire standpoint ) there is more clean up work to do with the rule change in effect instead of just killing the play ...
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:From a coaching standpoint, I like it ... If there are fewer than 2 outs more than one runner on, a runner leaves early and ball hit in the infield, the defense turns two or 3 ... Who wouldn't rather the 2 or 3 outs instead of one ? Curious why they didn't make it an appeal play though ? I guess either way ( from an Umpire standpoint ) there is more clean up work to do with the rule change in effect instead of just killing the play ...

But it isn't killing a play. There is no play to kill since there is no pitch.

With the new rule, how will anyone know whether the umpire called an IP, OBS or leaving early until the play is over. And I agree, there will be a lot of clean up and confusion after a play.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:30 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:From a coaching standpoint, I like it ... If there are fewer than 2 outs more than one runner on, a runner leaves early and ball hit in the infield, the defense turns two or 3 ... Who wouldn't rather the 2 or 3 outs instead of one ? Curious why they didn't make it an appeal play though ? I guess either way ( from an Umpire standpoint ) there is more clean up work to do with the rule change in effect instead of just killing the play ...

But it isn't killing a play. There is no play to kill since there is no pitch.

True

With the new rule, how will anyone know whether the umpire called an IP, OBS or leaving early until the play is over. And I agree, there will be a lot of clean up and confusion after a play.

I'm sure it will create a mess ... Would you have rather seen it be an appeal play though, like a runner leaving early on a caught fly ball ?
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:57 am

MTR wrote:
(snip)

The a$$hole umpire in me kind of likes the ambiguity - I don't have to commit to anything until the play is over and I can make up whatever I want depending on which coach has been the biggest jerk so far!!
:twisted: :roll:
HugoTafurst

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner