Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NCAA INT Question - new rule ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by HugoTafurst » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:From a coaching standpoint, I like it ... If there are fewer than 2 outs more than one runner on, a runner leaves early and ball hit in the infield, the defense turns two or 3 ... Who wouldn't rather the 2 or 3 outs instead of one ? Curious why they didn't make it an appeal play though ? I guess either way ( from an Umpire standpoint ) there is more clean up work to do with the rule change in effect instead of just killing the play ...

But it isn't killing a play. There is no play to kill since there is no pitch.

True

With the new rule, how will anyone know whether the umpire called an IP, OBS or leaving early until the play is over. And I agree, there will be a lot of clean up and confusion after a play.

I'm sure it will create a mess ... Would you have rather seen it be an appeal play though, like a runner leaving early on a caught fly ball ?

Interesting idea.... my first impression is YES, if the rule must be changed, I'd rather see it as an appeal.
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
I'm sure it will create a mess ... Would you have rather seen it be an appeal play though, like a runner leaving early on a caught fly ball ?

No. It is a violation during a point where the ball has not been put into play by the batter.

Even with the present change, this will become a strategy, just like the LBR and OBS. Making it an appeal will just create more friction because this is not always the umpire's primary concern. This is going to open a can of worms. I think making it an appeal would just create more angst and confrontation.
MTR

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 pm

MTR wrote:But it isn't killing a play. There is no play to kill since there is no pitch.

With the new rule, how will anyone know whether the umpire called an IP, OBS or leaving early until the play is over. And I agree, there will be a lot of clean up and confusion after a play.

The umpire verbalizes "Illegal Pitch", "Obstruction", or "The runner left the base before the pitch left the pitcher's hand." :shock: :mrgreen:

HugoTafurst wrote:[snip] I don't have to commit to anything until the play is over and I can make up whatever I want depending on which coach has been the biggest jerk so far!!
:twisted: :roll:

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

The rule is a crock.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Crabby_Bob wrote:The umpire verbalizes "Illegal Pitch", "Obstruction", or "The runner left the base before the pitch left the pitcher's hand." :shock: :mrgreen:

But you forgot to mention, "loud enough for the closest defender to hear". That isn't going to help the 3B coach ;)
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner