Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

She can't pitch wearing sunglasses???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Makina » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah I had a pitcher on a cold day wearing a long sleeve undershirt that had a place to put her thumb thru and thus the sleeve also covered the palm of her pitching hand. She threw 4 straights balls to walk the 1st batter, then threw another ball to the 2nd batter, when the opposing coach came out and protested to me that her sleeve was covering her hand. I looked at it, agreed and told her she could not pitch with the sleeve covering the palm of her hand.

So she complies and now proceeds to throw strikes and gets the hitters out!! How funny!!
Makina

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:38 am

Momo's Dad wrote:Get rid of the mirrored glasses. I believe in young people determining their own styles, but that's one parents should steer their kids away from.

As for sunglasses, mine won't pitch without 'em.

Ok ... I'll bite ... Why should parents steer their kids away from wearing mirrored sun glasses ? :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:42 am

Makina wrote:Actually had an opposing coach protest to me about a pitcher wearing sunglasses, saying it reflected back into batters eyes. I knew it was bs and coach was just trying to get into the head of the pitcher, the sun was in her eyes. Therefore I had no reason to make her take it off, so I went to mound looked at them and then said it was ok for her to wear them.

Nothing in rule book that says she can't wear them. So we proceeded to play ball.

WTF???? :?: :?:
You "knew it was BS and the coach was trying to get into the head of the pitcher", so you helped getting into the head of the pitcher by further delaying the game, and bringing attention to her by going out to the circle???

Think about it..

All you had to do was to tell the coach you saw no distraction, sit down...
HugoTafurst

by Makina » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:18 am

HugoTafurst chill out!!

She actually thought it was funny. Since I did not take her sunglasses away I did not let the opposition get into her head. And fyi HugoTafurst this girl was the leagues #1 pitcher, #1 team vs #2 team and she proceeded to mow down the opposition. This manager also happened to be the league UIC, so you just can't act like an A-hole and expect to be assigned games in the future.

So just chill out - I was just sharing a similar experience to the original poster. :P
Makina

by Comp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:52 am

Sounds to me like the league needs to find a new UIC if he is trying to pull that kind of crap as a coach knowing full well the rules dont support his argument. Further, isnt it kind of a conflict of interest to be coaching a team in a league where he is UIC? Who is to rule on a protest or rules infraction involving a game in which his team is playing?
Comp

by Makina » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:41 am

Well it's Rec. can't do much about it. You have to get your volunteers where u can.
Makina

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:54 am

Wilson and Easton came out with 'fastpitch' model gloves with florescent yellow writing on the back of the gloves. We marked DD's out with black marker. A friend of DD really did not want to mark her glove up.

This always came up in a 1-0 game. She was always pitching great. In the 4th or 5th inning, out comes the opposing coach. Pitcher really did not want to mark up the glove, so she would try tape, and it would fall off. Usually resulted in the girl getting frustrated and then the game would go badly.

That girl never did mark that yellow out, instead always going into the game and putting this tool in the opposing coaches hands. I always questioned why not just mark out the yellow?

Of course it is b.s. when the distraction rule is applied to mirrored sunglasses. Of course umpire is either new or needs to get a clue. Maybe even UIC. The flip side is that non-mirrored glasses are just as effective. Why not just get a non-mirrored pair and move on? Let someone else worry about fixing the umps and the UIC.

At some point mirrored may become a problem. How would you like to have these pitching to you?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:45 am

AlwaysImprove wrote: Let someone else worry about fixing the umps and the UIC.

Well, after all, this is the Umpire Corner... ;)
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Makina wrote:HugoTafurst chill out!!

She actually thought it was funny. Since I did not take her sunglasses away I did not let the opposition get into her head. And fyi HugoTafurst this girl was the leagues #1 pitcher, #1 team vs #2 team and she proceeded to mow down the opposition. This manager also happened to be the league UIC, so you just can't act like an A-hole and expect to be assigned games in the future.

So just chill out - I was just sharing a similar experience to the original poster. :P

Interesting "the rest of the story"
BTW, I'm fine, thank you.
Seems one of the first thing I hear from overly defensive people when criticism is offered is "Chill OUT"

You have to admit that depending on the level, putting on a show like that could be deemed appropriate.
Sorry you didn't get anything out of my post, some more removed from the situation and more objective might have read something to consider.
:)
HugoTafurst

by Sweet » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 am

Thanks again for the replies. We have gone through lots of non-mirrored glasses, and they seem to get broken very quickly... admitedaly this is user error, as my dd needs to be more careful with her gear. My hubby found these metal glasses (at Home depot of all places) that are super sturdy, fit dd's head, etc.... but the lenses happen to be metalic like (the fnish isn't quite as mirror as the pp posted aviators). We are constantly in search of the next "perfect pair", which now will have to be with black lenses, LOL.

I've seen the Mizuno optic yellow stitching called and sharpied out in a game, but never the sunglasses! Thanks again for the discussion!
Sweet

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner