Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Missed Base Appeal

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by georgiascout » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 am

Watched a High School game last week that offered a questionable ruling.

Bases Loaded with Two Outs
Batter rips a basehit to outfield and the Runners at 3B and 2B both score, giving this team the final lead in the game.
PROBLEM... Runner from 3B goes HM to score and Runner from 2B misses 3B and continues HM to score.
Missed Base was Appealed and was confirmed by Umpire. Runner was called Out but he allowed the scored run from the Runner from 3B.

My Question,,,, Why wasn't it treated as a Force Out thus negating the scoring run since it was the third out.
Had this been the Hitter missing 1B and continuing to 2B, I believe that would have been declared the third out and negated any runs being scored,
georgiascout

by UmpSteve » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:14 pm

georgiascout wrote:Watched a High School game last week that offered a questionable ruling.

Bases Loaded with Two Outs
Batter rips a basehit to outfield and the Runners at 3B and 2B both score, giving this team the final lead in the game.
PROBLEM... Runner from 3B goes HM to score and Runner from 2B misses 3B and continues HM to score.
Missed Base was Appealed and was confirmed by Umpire. Runner was called Out but he allowed the scored run from the Runner from 3B.

My Question,,,, Why wasn't it treated as a Force Out thus negating the scoring run since it was the third out.
Had this been the Hitter missing 1B and continuing to 2B, I believe that would have been declared the third out and negated any runs being scored,

In the play you describe, it is absolutely a force out (R2 forced to 3rd by result of B becoming a BR); if that was the 3rd out, no runs can score on that play.

Thought you were about to rehash missed base appeal I had just last night at another GHSA game (Harrison/Hillgrove). I know the Hillgrove coaches have called everyone they know trying to get someone to agree with them.

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out. Fly to right center, 1st base coach tells R2 (runner on 1st) to go. She touches 2nd as CF makes a great catch, runs around second on the way back to 1st safely. Meanwhile, R1 (runner on 3rd) easily tags and scores.

After play ends, Hillgrove coach calls time, and (dead ball appeal) appeals R2 missing 2nd on the way back. Appeal upheld (by me); coach says "no runs scores". Nope, not a force out, timimg play, runs scores. He still doesn't get it. Oh, and he KNOWS that isn't right in baseball, either.

This in top of 1st; he loses 10-9 in 8 innings, but this ruling apparently cost them the game.

(For those not knowing, no protests allowed in GHSA games; but, he would obviously lose anyway.)
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by georgiascout » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:16 am

Thanxx Steve... I thought it was a blown call but wasn't my game to dispute.

By the way... I would be the Last person that 'said team coach' would ever ask for help, advice, or even oxygen... no love there... LOL
georgiascout

by Sparky Guy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:59 pm

In the play you describe, it is absolutely a force out (R2 forced to 3rd by result of B becoming a BR); if that was the 3rd out, no runs can score on that play.

It is not a force play. It is an appeal. The runner is considered to have reached a base once they have passed it even though they did not touch the bag. This is now an appeal play which is a timing play. The umpire made the correct ruling.
Sparky Guy

by MTR » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Sparky Guy wrote:

It is not a force play. It is an appeal. The runner is considered to have reached a base once they have passed it even though they did not touch the bag. This is now an appeal play which is a timing play. The umpire made the correct ruling.

Nope, that isn't correct. This is a force play. NFHS Rule 2, Art 11. Force Out: "If an appeal is honored at a base to which a runner was forced to advance, no runs would score if it was the third out."
MTR

by Comp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, they are considered to have touched it until properly appealed. Once properly appealed the base has not in fact been touched and it is not a timing play. If the runner has been forced to the base which was missed, it is now a force out. If the force happens to be the 3rd out of the inning, no run can score when the 3rd out is the result of a force play.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 am

Just to understand a bit more clearly. Let's say the runner really cuts the corner at 3b. Lets say they miss by 2ft? Or 4ft, Or they run straight from 2b to home? I know these are bit outlandish.
The question is does the umpire call them out automatically if they miss the base by a ton, or do they wait for an appeal?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 am

The umpire does not automatically call the runner out. It is an appeal play that must be made by the defense. Thats why the rule states, once a runner has passed a base, they are considered to have touched it until properly appealed.
Comp

by smith840 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:49 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Just to understand a bit more clearly. Let's say the runner really cuts the corner at 3b. Lets say they miss by 2ft? Or 4ft, Or they run straight from 2b to home? I know these are bit outlandish.
The question is does the umpire call them out automatically if they miss the base by a ton, or do they wait for an appeal?

It is still an appeal play by the defensive team. AM umpire needs to wait and see if the appeal is going to happen. In 24 years of umpiring I have seen the obvious missing of a base not appealed because no defensive player saw the runner miss the base. If we call that out then we are doing the defense a major favor.
smith840

Return to The Umpire Corner