Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire pitch count

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by twinsmom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:15 pm

This didn't affect the game but was wondering if there is something that would guide me in the rule book to the appropriate answer.

Player gets sign from coach, turns and asks plate umpire "what is the count blue", he checks his counter and says "1-1" (there was an girl who had to walk off a foul ball that hit her in the leg so there was some time lag between pitches). She repeats it to him and he says "yes". She takes the next pitch which he calls a strike. As she steps out to take next sign, umpire states "she's out". He then admits he made a mistake and gave her the incorrect pitch count. Not sure how he determined that but she is out nonetheless (confirmed by home book). Is there a rule that would be in play here? Obviously if the count is 1-2, she is out and you shouldn't penalize the defensive team and pitcher for umpire error, but if the player verified pitch count and took a pitch that wasn't what she wanted in that particular count situation (runner on third with only one out), what is the right call? Umpire admits he made mistake, but is there something in the rule book that covers that? Or is it just the breaks of the game?
twinsmom

by MTR » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 pm

twinsmom wrote:This didn't affect the game but was wondering if there is something that would guide me in the rule book to the appropriate answer.

Player gets sign from coach, turns and asks plate umpire "what is the count blue", he checks his counter and says "1-1" (there was an girl who had to walk off a foul ball that hit her in the leg so there was some time lag between pitches). She repeats it to him and he says "yes". She takes the next pitch which he calls a strike. As she steps out to take next sign, umpire states "she's out". He then admits he made a mistake and gave her the incorrect pitch count. Not sure how he determined that but she is out nonetheless (confirmed by home book). Is there a rule that would be in play here? Obviously if the count is 1-2, she is out and you shouldn't penalize the defensive team and pitcher for umpire error, but if the player verified pitch count and took a pitch that wasn't what she wanted in that particular count situation (runner on third with only one out), what is the right call? Umpire admits he made mistake, but is there something in the rule book that covers that? Or is it just the breaks of the game?

The straight, and I'm sure unpopular answer to your question is that, no there is nothing in the rules which allows for this error.

The team are expected to be aware of the game situation. Umpires are human, humans error.

Like I said, not popular, but that is why coaches are permitted to carry indicators in the box. It is also why any time there is a question on the count given, the umpire should stop and check with his/her partner.
MTR

by Bretman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 pm

As an umpire, of course you never want to give the wrong count. But it happens. There was even a case of a Major League Baseball umpire losing track of the count in a game a few weeks ago! If an umpire ever tells you that he has never lost track of the count before, he either isn't really an umpire or he's lying!

The unfortunate answer is that there isn't anything you can do to fix this. If it's determined that it really is the third strike, then it really is the third strike.

More often than not, an umpire losing the count occurs after there is some longer than usual delay between pitches because something unusual happened. That is why if there is some delay, I try to always give the count once play resumes (both verbally and while holding up fingers). It gets everybody on the same page and, if maybe I did forget to click my indicator, somebody is likely to catch it- if not my partner, then a coach or the batter herself.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Return to The Umpire Corner