Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

strike two or foul out???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GO REBS » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Batter has a 3-2 full count. Batter foul tips a fastball that hits the catchers glove and her helmet. The ball bounces straight up in the air and the catcher easily catches the ball before it ever hits the ground.

Is the batter out or was it strike two and do it all over again?????

GO REBS
GO REBS

by K'SDAD » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 pm

3-2 count it can't be strike 2
K'SDAD

by Tsunamitime » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 am

I would say it is a Out. Caught foul ball.

Here is another one happened this weekend in a tournament. Batter swings and misses for strike 3. Catcher catches ball but the Mitt falls off of her hand and lands on the ground ball stays in the glove. What is the call.
Tsunamitime

by thedoanezone » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 am

My understanding is a foultip has to go directly to the glove for it to be a strike 3. If it hits any other part of the catchers equipment and then is caught, it is not an out. Since you say it deflects off the helmet, after hitting the glove, then it is a FT, no catch by the catcher, count still 3-2
thedoanezone

by ajaywill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:57 pm

GO REBS wrote:Batter has a 3-2 full count. Batter foul tips a fastball that hits the catchers glove and her helmet. The ball bounces straight up in the air and the catcher easily catches the ball before it ever hits the ground.

Is the batter out or was it strike two and do it all over again?????

GO REBS

If the ball went sharply and directly to the catcher's glove first, then hit her helmet and was caught, you have a foul tip, stike three, batter is out.

The rule states (I am paraphrasing as I do not have the book handy) that in order for it to be a foul tip, the ball must go sharply and directly to the catcher's hand or glove and be caught. No mention of rebounding off of any other parts of the catcher in between.

If the ball first hits the catcher or any of her equipment (excluding the hand or glove), by rule it is a foul ball and dead. That ball cannot be caught for an out.
ajaywill

by thedoanezone » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:49 pm

I would still hold my position, but change that it is a foul ball, not an un-caught (or "illegally" caught) foul tip. How can something go directly to the glove and deflect off of it at the same time? It seems the discretion is given to the umpire to determine if it goes directly to the catcher's glove or not. An better example of where it might be a FT, strike 3 is a ball directly to the catcher's glove that is dropped or pops out, but bounces off a shin guard and is recovered before hitting the ground.

Still 3-2, IMO, on a ball that hits off the glove and then the helmet.
thedoanezone

by ice_67 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 pm

I say the batter is out.

From the rules supplement section #22.

It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the
ball remains live in Fast Pitch and Slow Pitch with stealing. It is not a catch
if the ball rebounds off the catcher, unless the ball has first touched the
catcher’s glove / mitt or hand.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by MTR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 pm

To add to the RS, the ASA definition of a foul tip is a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's hand(s) of glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher.

In the original scenario, did the ball go directly from the bat to the catcher's glove? It seems that would be yes. Did the catcher legally catch the ball? Yes.

That is a foul tip and the batter is out since the count included two strikes prior to the pitch in question.
MTR

by JEL » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:58 pm

ASA CASE BOOK PLAY 1-59

The ball goes directly from the bat, (a) touches the catcher's glove or hand and then rebounds from the catcher or their equipment, (b) from the bat, strikes the catcher's body, their protective equipment or the umpire. In both cases, the ball rebounds into the glove or hand of the catcher and is held.

RULING: In (a) it is a foul tip and a strike, in (b) it is a foul ball. The ball cannot be a foul tip if it first touches anything other than the catchers glove or hand. (1-FOUL TIP; 1-FOUL BALL-G; 7-4-D)
JEL

by GO REBS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:11 pm

K'SDAD wrote:3-2 count it can't be strike 2

Thanks!!! If you have 2 strikes and you foul tip a ball you have how many strikes???
I think ill give this to my 8 year old daughter for a math problem.

Oh yea the answer is 2
GO REBS

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner