Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

In the lane or not?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Batter hits a blooper taward first base, she dives to catch it and it goes off her glove and rolls back towards catcher. The batter stood there for a second until after ball is hit. Catcher steps out gets ball and fires to first. Ball drills r1 in back.

I cant tell from my angle so I ask my catcher if the runner was in fair territory as there was a safety base. Catcher says yes, so i ask the blue where the runner was when she was hit. he tells me it was close.

Close? What is close? she is either on the right side of the chalk, or she isnt. which one is it blue? She was close coach.... im going to let it go.

Huh???? What the hell does that mean? She was on the right side of the chalk where she clearly must be or she isnt. What the hell does " It was close mean? yes or no answer and I walk away. But I am going to let it go? to me that means she was in fair territory but he is going to let it go because it was close.

And they wonder why we get upset.
Iluvblue

by Comp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Based on your description of the batter standing there for a length of time, sounds like she may not have been far down the line. The running lane doesnt start until 30' down the 1st base line, so, if she was hit prior to the lane, its nothing. In that sense, then the umpire may have been completely correct in his answer to you about it was close. She may have been close to the running lane, but not yet to it.
Comp

by MTR » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 am

Iluvblue wrote:Batter hits a blooper taward first base, she dives to catch it and it goes off her glove and rolls back towards catcher. The batter stood there for a second until after ball is hit. Catcher steps out gets ball and fires to first. Ball drills r1 in back.

I cant tell from my angle so I ask my catcher if the runner was in fair territory as there was a safety base. Catcher says yes, so i ask the blue where the runner was when she was hit. he tells me it was close.

Close? What is close? she is either on the right side of the chalk, or she isnt. which one is it blue? She was close coach.... im going to let it go.

Huh???? What the hell does that mean? She was on the right side of the chalk where she clearly must be or she isnt. What the hell does " It was close mean? yes or no answer and I walk away. But I am going to let it go? to me that means she was in fair territory but he is going to let it go because it was close.

And they wonder why we get upset.

Fair territory is irrelevant to the application of the rule.

As noted, was this more than the halfway point to 1B?
Was there a defender in position to take the throw at 1B?
Was the throw to the defender or at the BR? If so, where was she set up to take the throw?
From where was the catcher throwing the ball?
If it was close, maybe it was just that, marginal as to where the BR was and what part of the BR's body was contacted with the throw or that all the elements for an INT call were met or not.
MTR

by okla21fan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:56 am

And Mike, don't forget lastly about the 'which rule set' were you playing as that could make a huge difference as well.

(which I know you understand this, but the OP and his posting history struggles with) :roll:
okla21fan

by Iluvblue » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:31 pm

I struggle with far less than the guys that do our games, I can promise you.

ASA rules, runner was probably 10 ft from bag (just guess) 2nd baseman was standing there(just like she would have been on a bunt) to receive throw, catcher was in fair territory when she made the throw. SAFETY bag is being used.

You are missing my point anyways. the damn umpire couldnt even explain to me what happened.

It was close coach, Im going to let it go.

Please, but you go ahead and explain away the million scenarios that cover his stupidity.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Iluvblue wrote:I struggle with far less than the guys that do our games, I can promise you.

ASA rules, runner was probably 10 ft from bag (just guess) 2nd baseman was standing there(just like she would have been on a bunt) to receive throw, catcher was in fair territory when she made the throw. SAFETY bag is being used.

You are missing my point anyways. the damn umpire couldnt even explain to me what happened.

It was close coach, Im going to let it go.

Please, but you go ahead and explain away the million scenarios that cover his stupidity.

Before or after I cover your's? Where was the runner? Your catcher says fair territory, but her opinion doesn't count. Did you specifically ask your catcher if the BR's entire body was over fair territory? Maybe the umpire judged that she was NOT completely in fair territory and the ball struck her in part of the body that was not over fair territory. And, yes, it makes a difference.

Maybe the umpire was having a hard time deciding because the throw was close to the line as I'm sure the lasers which provide pin point accuracy were on loan to NASA.

Then again, as you define the manner in which the BR was hit, maybe the umpire was thinking it was too close on whether to eject the catcher or not for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Remember, you asked what the umpire may have meant. These are just suggestions as to what he meant since none of us are him
MTR

by MTR » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 am

I should note that I would agree, the response, while maybe what was going through the umpire's mind, was not the correct manner in which to communicate it to the coach.
MTR

by okla21fan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 pm

MTR wrote:I should note that I would agree, the response, while maybe what was going through the umpire's mind, was not the correct manner in which to communicate it to the coach.

or he could have just said 'I don't have INT, now go back to the dugout' and leave it at that. This sounds more and more like a case where are coach just didn't 'like' what he heard from the blue and didn't get his way. To me, it is very similar to telling a catcher (or a coach) on a close pitched ball. 'it just missed' ....there is a line and many times the judgement is very close to that line but it doesn't change the call (But I don't have to tell you that Mike) :lol:
okla21fan

by Iluvblue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 am

Now go back to the dugout....

it is attitudes like that from some umpires that get themselves into problems on the field.

You are correct, he could have told me the girl was fine when I ASKED HIM the question. But he didnt, he bumbled and stumbled all around the question with uncertainty.

So instead of yuor shitty attitude and assuming I was pissed because I " Didnt get the answer i wanted" you could have a little bit more confidence in what you are doing on the field, answer the question that was asked and i would have turned and walked back to the dugout.

But I know, it is the coaches fault that the umpire was so unsure of what the hell he was calling that for you, a nice power play of " Now go back to the dugout you piss ant." would have been best.

Nice job.
Iluvblue

by okla21fan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 am

Go re-read your OP, your answer is there.

"yes or no answer and I walk away."

So what you are saying is that had this PU said 'I don't have INT'.... you would have turn and walked away. We get it now :lol:
okla21fan

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner