Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

In the lane or not?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by RocUmp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 pm

This mechanic pre-dated the World Series play. It was emphaized more after that play. The philosophy is to indicate "I saw it and there is no problem". It has helped during the "discussion" after the play is over. If a runner could have interfered and didn't...there was a play and they aren't out so give the safe sign.

This is not an offical ASA mechanic and the responce you get will depend on the UIC at the time. I was complimented by one UIC for using it as a "game management" tool.

This is siimilar to the question of when you call a runner safe, "If someone could think they are out but they aren't, call them safe."
RocUmp

by MTR » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 am

RocUmp wrote:This mechanic pre-dated the World Series play. It was emphaized more after that play. The philosophy is to indicate "I saw it and there is no problem". It has helped during the "discussion" after the play is over. If a runner could have interfered and didn't...there was a play and they aren't out so give the safe sign.

This is not an offical ASA mechanic and the responce you get will depend on the UIC at the time. I was complimented by one UIC for using it as a "game management" tool.

This is siimilar to the question of when you call a runner safe, "If someone could think they are out but they aren't, call them safe."

Actually, it was Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS. Mike Soscia acted like a complete idiot on the play and his comments were comparable to that of an untrained LL coach. A "safe" signal on a U3K still isn't going to help the catcher who has his/her back to the umpire as does the batter.

And I would agree that when there is a play at a base and the defense failed, a "safe" call is appropriate (signal is useless) for a runner which may otherwise move to get away from the still active play.

I've heard a load of the satisfy-the-coach-initiated excuses and they are a load of crap. The best is, "you are telling the coach you saw the play and the runner is not out" will stop coaches from questiong the umpire's call. Really? Is there any intelligent person out there that believes an umpire making a simple signal is going to stop a coach from questioning the call s/he believes the umpire missed?

Well, the umpire is just stating he saw it? Saw WHAT? The same thing the hundreds or thousands fans and both teams saw? And a safe signal is going to sway their opinion? GMAFB!

IMO, the "mechanic" is a cowardly knee-jerk reaction to a CS argument.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner