Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

another missed base scenario

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 am

Bretman wrote:Yes. Two times that I can recall in a span of about ten years and 1000 games. Both times the ball passed an infielder attempting to field it, it went past the fielder, then hit the runner directly behind her. And, there was no second fielder behind the runner who had the opportunity to make a play.

It's not like it happens often...but it can happen.

It should also be noted that the rule used to be specific to another infielder which excluded an OF playing up.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 am

I agree with the point I think Battle is making ... Often, in the play described we see the advancing base runner called out for INT. ... But, if the ball does not hit the advancing base runner, how often will F9 actually throw out the advancing base runner at 2nd or the BR at first ? Maybe one out of every 7-10 times ... So with all things being equal, wouldn't you figure that this could possibly be interference only one out of every 7-10 times ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:00 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I agree with the point I think Battle is making ... Often, in the play described we see the advancing base runner called out for INT. ... But, if the ball does not hit the advancing base runner, how often will F9 actually throw out the advancing base runner at 2nd or the BR at first ? Maybe one out of every 7-10 times ... So with all things being equal, wouldn't you figure that this could possibly be interference only one out of every 7-10 times ?

Don't disagree, but the rules still have to allow for the possibility of the 3 times that it may happen. Remember, it isn't automatic. The umpire must believe the fielder would have gotten an out. Just being in the right place isn't enough.
MTR

by Bretman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:01 am

Again, it's situational. If F9 is playing shallow and charging in on the hit, she could very well wind up just a few feet behind the runner and F3. If the runners are especially slow or didn't react quickly, they could still be a good distance from their respective bases (ie: more likely to be thrown out). But it does take kind of a "perfect storm" of circumstances for an outfielder to be the second fielder, behind the runner, with an opportunity to make a play.

As far as a batter-runner getting thrown out at first base by the right fielder...I think I saw that happen about four times this year in a span of just over 100 games. I saw a runner called out for being hit by a batted ball maybe two or three times over the same span. I didn't see any play where both could have happened at the same time. These are rare plays, which is probably why inexperienced umpires, or non-umpires, can have a problem getting a grasp on them.

There are many routine calls, like simple force plays, catches, balls, strikes, foul balls, that get called hundreds of times a season. We see them over and over again and become comfortable making them. Then there are some oddball plays that you might see once a year- or once in your career- and you have to pull some seldom invoked, arcane rule out of your memory banks to cover it. And you have to do it at a moments notice, with everybody around you convinced that you have it wrong!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Battle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 am

Bretman wrote:There are many routine calls, like simple force plays, catches, balls, strikes, foul balls, that get called hundreds of times a season. We see them over and over again and become comfortable making them. Then there are some oddball plays that you might see once a year- or once in your career- and you have to pull some seldom invoked, arcane rule out of your memory banks to cover it. And you have to do it at a moments notice, with everybody around you convinced that you have it wrong!

It is a split second decision on the part of the ump and IMO, is somewhat of a lost rule. Also IMO, if a girl gets hit with a batted ball in the scenario that I have described, she is not out more times than out. You say that you don't see it much but I can recall at least 3 time that it happened to us just this spring and that's just at 1st base as I have described. There are probably more times that I've seen it happen to the opposing team or just another game that I was watching and don't remember. You seem to remember the times it happens to you more...LOL...
That's also not counting the time that it happened at 2nd although I can see where that might be an out more times than not out. I have never seen it happen at 3rd but I have heard coaches tell their runners to run on the foul side of the line because if they get hit with the ball, they are out but really, by rule it would depend on where F5 is when it happens. I can't recall any coach actually saying that. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I feel better informed.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MTR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Battle wrote:It is a split second decision on the part of the ump and IMO, is somewhat of a lost rule. Also IMO, if a girl gets hit with a batted ball in the scenario that I have described, she is not out more times than out. You say that you don't see it much but I can recall at least 3 time that it happened to us just this spring and that's just at 1st base as I have described. There are probably more times that I've seen it happen to the opposing team or just another game that I was watching and don't remember. You seem to remember the times it happens to you more...LOL...

I see this call, or no call if you prefer, a couple times a year.

You note it being a split second decision. Than again, many decisions are split second and it is the good umpire that recognizes and rules correctly when a rare play occurs.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner