Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ASA Glove/Mitt Rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 pm

In reviewing the ASA rule book, Rule 3 - Section 4 - Glove/Mitt, It appears that any glove that meets the dimension requirements as specified could be used at any position. I had heard that outfielders cannot wear "mitts" due to this rule, however, there is no such prohibition in the text of the ASA rulebook that I can find.

Any one else with a different read?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Was at an ASA tournament a few years ago (2008) Player was wearing a big firstbaseman's mitt. When we questioned blue- he said that the rule had been changed and that it was OK- seemed strange at the time
jonriv

by Bretman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 pm

The ASA rule did change and, if I recall correctly, the year it was changed was 2006. Prior to that, mitts (generally defined as a glove without individual finger slots) were permitted at the catcher and first base positions only. Now you may wear a mitt at any defensive position.

It's a mixed bag for other sanctioning bodies. Some still restrict mitts to F2 & F3, others allow all players to use them.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Bretman wrote:The ASA rule did change and, if I recall correctly, the year it was changed was 2006. Prior to that, mitts (generally defined as a glove without individual finger slots) were permitted at the catcher and first base positions only. Now you may wear a mitt at any defensive position.

It's a mixed bag for other sanctioning bodies. Some still restrict mitts to F2 & F3, others allow all players to use them.

Thanks for the insight!
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Bretman wrote:The ASA rule did change and, if I recall correctly, the year it was changed was 2006. Prior to that, mitts (generally defined as a glove without individual finger slots) were permitted at the catcher and first base positions only. Now you may wear a mitt at any defensive position.

It was changed in 2006.
http://downloads.asasoftball.com/umpires/pdf/06rulechangesandcomments.pdf
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner