Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

WHAT IS DROP DEAD?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
MTR wrote:This is what happens when you add or change rules to the game.

In all Junior Olympic Class A 12-Under, 14-Under, 16-Under and 18-Under
pool play; Class B 12-Under, 14-Under, 16-Under and 18-Under pool play;
and Gold pool play; no inning shall start after 1 hour and 40 minutes for fast
pitch and 1 hour and 30 minutes for slow pitch . If the game is still tied
after the time limit has expired, the tiebreaker shall be in effect at the start of
the next inning

That's rule 5.10 and it applies to championship play.

DROP DEAD is a piss poor way to end a ball game.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by HugoTafurst » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:DROP DEAD is a piss poor way to end a ball game.

Agreed.
Fortunately in my experience it has only been used in non-competitive situations (as mentioned earlier) such as Showcase games and our HS fall ball games (which are only played for coaching purposes)
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:

after the time limit has expired, the tiebreaker shall be in effect at the start of
the next inning

Okay, what's your point?
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:45 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:

the next inning

That's rule 5.10 and it applies to championship play.

DROP DEAD is a piss poor way to end a ball game.

It is article 510 O 03 of the ASA code.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:01 am

MTR wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:

the next inning

Okay, what's your point?

I suspect you already know my point. You say changing the rules causes issues, implying that time limits are an artificial construct outside the rulebook and those will always create issues. I agree with your point, they do cause issues.

We also have to acknowledge the practical realities of life. There is clearly a mechanism for time limiting games, and even ASA uses it. In the 12 years I have been around the sport I have never been in a tournament that did not have a time limiting mechanism.

Yeah we can parse through the differences between 'drop dead' and 'no new inning', but that would be a unnecessary.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:30 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:I suspect you already know my point. You say changing the rules causes issues, implying that time limits are an artificial construct outside the rulebook and those will always create issues. I agree with your point, they do cause issues.

We also have to acknowledge the practical realities of life. There is clearly a mechanism for time limiting games, and even ASA uses it. In the 12 years I have been around the sport I have never been in a tournament that did not have a time limiting mechanism.

Yeah we can parse through the differences between 'drop dead' and 'no new inning', but that would be a unnecessary.

Well, we can parse through them, but that was to what I am referring. Time limits exists, have for years and it is those in which the umpire is trained to deal and accommodate. The "change" is the drop dead or any other variation of the published rule.

I have no problems with time limits as we all know, tournament have a limited window in which to be completed and some match-ups can be painfully long and not because both teams are hitting the hell out of the ball.

For that matter, I wish ASA would adopt a shorter period with a plus one inning. Yes, it is another intrusion on the game and how it "should" be played, unfortunately, it is those who play the clock instead of the game which necessitates such adjustments.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:29 am

MTR wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:I suspect you already know my point. You say changing the rules causes issues, implying that time limits are an artificial construct outside the rulebook and those will always create issues. I agree with your point, they do cause issues.

Well, we can parse through them, but that was to what I am referring. Time limits exists, have for years and it is those in which the umpire is trained to deal and accommodate. The "change" is the drop dead or any other variation of the published rule.

I have no problems with time limits as we all know, tournament have a limited window in which to be completed and some match-ups can be painfully long and not because both teams are hitting the hell out of the ball.

For that matter, I wish ASA would adopt a shorter period with a plus one inning. Yes, it is another intrusion on the game and how it "should" be played, unfortunately, it is those who play the clock instead of the game which necessitates such adjustments.

100% agree. I will even go further. Drop Dead is bullshite marketing invention of tournament directors. They want to market their tournaments as 1:40 long. In reality 1:40 'drop dead' is equivalent to 1:30 'no new inning'.

Coaches should get smart enough to avoid tournament directors that use 'drop dead'. That tournament director either does not know enough about the game to realize what their 'drop dead' means. Or that tournament director does know enough about the game and wants to take advantage of teams.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:00 pm

MTR wrote:

FWI We are doing ASA games ("Qualifier") - 1:10 finish the inning +1 more inning.
HugoTafurst

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner