Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

pitcher maintain contact with rubber

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by scoop » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 am

Had an interesting one at a tournament by a man who has umpired for years, not saying he's any good, but he has been around :roll:
BU makes two illegal pitch calls on Home team pitcher in top of the first. Not really out of the ordinary. Bottom of same inning, Visiting team pitcher out to pitch (this is game 18 on the season by the way), same BU calls two illegal pitches on Visiting team pitcher as well. Visiting Team coach calls time to ask for a clarification on illegal pitch (what is she doing wrong that no one for first 17 games has caught?) BU replies she must maintain contact with rubber through the release of the pitch. (girl doesn't crow hop, drags her toe with a huge divit by the way) also BU claims he "wrote the book on pitching"
Long story short....two more illegal pitches called....Visiting team pitcher now on verge of crying (she's 12), and pitching shortarming the ball without her foot ever leaving contact with the rubber, no follow through, she's upset and another couple of illegal pitches called again.
Visiting coach asks for a conference with HU and BU says "its my call not his" even though coach is simply asking for someone to clarify what young lady is doing wrong?
Visiting pitcher now in tears and can't pitch and she is removed.
Between innings visiting coach gets on the cell phone to tournament director, who is offsite at the moment. He's getting no answers or help from BU or HU, so his last resort?
BU notices him on phone on bucket just outside dugout with his team batting. Long story short, he's tossed (I think he was headed that way anyway with his mood after 6-8 illegal pitches called for something not illegal.
Tournament director, long standing HS coach, arrives later and conferences with umpires and in fact tells the BU that neither team are illegal pitching and to basically refraine from calling another one, to which BU responds "i'm in charge here" and calls a couple more later on in the same game.
Home team fans even voicing displeasure over BU making pitcher cry. Visiting team livid, but pitcher's dad even holds back from saying anything to BU.
Isn't it in the rule book, contact with rubber, but theoretically impossible? Shouldn't the ump provide some kind of instruction on what exactly is wrong, especially at this level (middle school ball)
In a surprise move, BU made HU in third place game with same pitcher back to pitch and doesn't call one illegal pitch (but isn't that BU call anyway?)?
On sidenote, the BU was an outstanding men's fastpitch pitcher in his day (many days ago).....
scoop

by NM FP Ump » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:14 am

I am not sure what rule set you are using, but GENERALLY the pitcher needs to maintain contact with the pitcher's plate (not rubber) when she starts her windup. After that she cannot step forward but she may slide her foot from side to side along the pitcher's plate, as long as she maintains contact with the plate. Once she begins her pivot, she may, as a consequence of having the majority of her foot off the plate, break contact with the pitcher's plate. At this point, the pitch is legal.

I cannot speak for what the BU saw, but his explanation seems faulty.
NM FP Ump

by MTR » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:49 pm

NM FP Ump wrote:I am not sure what rule set you are using, but GENERALLY the pitcher needs to maintain contact with the pitcher's plate (not rubber) when she starts her windup. After that she cannot step forward but she may slide her foot from side to side along the pitcher's plate, as long as she maintains contact with the plate. Once she begins her pivot, she may, as a consequence of having the majority of her foot off the plate, break contact with the pitcher's plate. At this point, the pitch is legal.
...as long as her pivot foot maintains contact with the ground until the release of the ball.
MTR

by BeyondTheScoreBoard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm

I'll jump in on this, BU was nuts. Staying in contact with the rubber is a slow pitch rule!

FED and ASA books describe the toe correct drag.
BeyondTheScoreBoard

by wadeintothem » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Did Sam finally don the blue??? :lol:

Seriously...

Its definately at least made to sound like the BU was ate up. It doesnt sound like it was properly handled or explained.

That said...I've on rare occasion had to call IP after IP during a game. Usually this will be right after HS season ends when pitchers transition from HS to ASA ball and suddenly find they are illegal.

IMny coaches do not even know what IP's are, let alone teach legal pitching or in the alternative, change the girls depending on rule set.. then muscle memory develops which consists of an IP..then the girl still does it or is so thrown off by the IP call she is then messed up.

Based on the OP, It doesnt sound like a single person involved knows the pitching rules.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by RockThunder » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:25 am

It's stated in the rules in a few places that the pivot foot must stay in contact with the ground. Some umpires are willing to call it, but many are intimidated (by positions such as: Not called in the first 17 games), and pretend it isn't happening. There's another infraction that is rarely called and that is the repositioning of the pivot foot to push off from a different location than the pitching plate.
Bottom line is the further this goes on without umpires stepping up and calling it, the more this game will be dominated by pitching, and offense will be virtually non-existant. Fan base will dwindle because the reality is, as the game turns into a game about 1 player out of 9 on defense, and the other 8 can build sand castles in the field while that pitcher racks up the strikeouts, kids and parents will get disillusioned and bored mighty fast. Sounds far fetched but step back and look at the big picture. It's happening.
RockThunder

by Bretman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 am

Your position seems to be that illegal pitches should be called. That is a point that really can't be argued.

But the first post here presents us with an umpire calling illegal pitches for an act that is 100% legal! That is an entirely different thing and something that I would never support.

If this umpire really claimed that the pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate throughout the entire pitch, then he has an ill-conceived concept of the legal pitching requirements.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by dittoz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 am

If I recall correctly, that's a protestable call

If the situation warrants it, do it!
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by bigsig » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:53 pm

dittoz wrote:If I recall correctly, that's a protestable call

Umpire's judgement, NOT protestable.
bigsig

by MTR » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:27 pm

bigsig wrote:
dittoz wrote:If I recall correctly, that's a protestable call

Umpire's judgement, NOT protestable.

It is protestable if the umpire interprets the rule incorrectly. The umpire stated the pitcher must keep contact with the pitcher's plate until the ball is pitched. That is not true, hence it is a rule interpretation which is indeed protestable.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner