Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

pitcher maintain contact with rubber

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by umpinva » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 pm

play-more/talk-less wrote:Here is at least a solution for the poor girl pitching. One of our pitcher's (who uses a slide step) told me that her pitching coach told her if an ump calls illegal pitch multiple times hand him the ball and walk off because it is not going to change the rest of the game. Arguing will (as is the case with 99% of umps) only make it worse so just wait til next game, next blue rather than get all upset about it you can't change your pitching style in the middle of a game no matter who is right or wrong.

Guess you're using the term pitching coach loosely. I know several umpires who would perceive that action as trying to show them up and might consider ejecting the pitcher for UC.

Wouldn't it make more sense that if in the umpire's judgment she's pitching illegally, for her team's coach to put a new pitcher into the game instead of her handing the ball to the umpire and walking off the field?
umpinva

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm

play-more/talk-less wrote:Here is at least a solution for the poor girl pitching. One of our pitcher's (who uses a slide step) told me that her pitching coach told her if an ump calls illegal pitch multiple times hand him the ball and walk off because it is not going to change the rest of the game. Arguing will (as is the case with 99% of umps) only make it worse so just wait til next game, next blue rather than get all upset about it you can't change your pitching style in the middle of a game no matter who is right or wrong.

Now you have pissed of the ump and in the next game he is umping again and not forgotten what little Suzy did the last game. Game after that, he has had a break and talked to the other umps about this and now they are all looking for the same thing.

My dd would never do anything to piss the ump off even more if she can help it. That is what her pitching coach taught her.
Sftbll4ever

by wadeintothem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:53 pm

This is the instruction some idiot parent is actually paying for?
:lol:

What was lesson 2? How to properly roll your eyes when what I'm teaching is called for being illegal?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner