Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Dropped 3rd

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Bretman wrote:[...] Forced runners can always retreat back to the base they started on, while a batter-runner cannot.

Err, sure she can, but she can never be safe doing this. If BR does this to avoid a tag attempt, BR is out.
A forced runner can possibly become safe by retreating and is not out retreating to avoid a tag attempt. Clear distinction (again!) between a Runner and the Batter-Runner.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:09 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
Bretman wrote:[...] Forced runners can always retreat back to the base they started on, while a batter-runner cannot.

Err, sure she can, but she can never be safe doing this. If BR does this to avoid a tag attempt, BR is out.
A forced runner can possibly become safe by retreating and is not out retreating to avoid a tag attempt. Clear distinction (again!) between a Runner and the Batter-Runner.

But a force can be removed for a runner if a trailing runner or BR is retired and be safe by returning to the base from which s/he was originally forced. A BR never has such an option.
MTR

by Bretman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:11 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:Err, sure she can...

Yeah...I obviously meant retreat back to and reoccupy a previous base...or maybe not so obviously. ;)
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Crabby_Bob » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:39 am

Agreed to both. My point was poorly stated.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Battle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:51 am

Bretman wrote: The section you're refering to is the ASA umpire manual that appears in the back of the "Umpire Edition" of their rule book. It was totally rewritten three years ago- all completely new text and graphics since 2009.

I think this was best summed up by Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott in the Star Trek novel "Spock Must Die". Faced with distinguishing a tachyon-based duplicate from that of the real Commander Spock, Scotty surmised that, "A difference which makes no difference is no difference".

Or, in this case...it walks like a duck, it talks like a duck but, technically...it ain't a duck!

Isn't it odd that up to 3 years ago, the book described a “Force Play” and used at least 2 pages of the Umpire's section (of all places) to do this. It's no wonder why people are so misguided on this. You've got the rule book giving you a direct definition and then the umpire's section, under the freakin' words “Force Play”, describing in detail the force at 1st. Unbelievable...Thanks to all of you for educating me and have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MTR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Battle wrote:Isn't it odd that up to 3 years ago, the book described a “Force Play” and used at least 2 pages of the Umpire's section (of all places) to do this. It's no wonder why people are so misguided on this. You've got the rule book giving you a direct definition and then the umpire's section, under the freakin' words “Force Play”, describing in detail the force at 1st. Unbelievable...Thanks to all of you for educating me and have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

No, it is not odd. It isn't part of the rules, not does it have any relevance to the interpretation or application of them. No different the people constantly calling the NCAA DI Championship a "world series" when it is neither.
MTR

by Makina » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes, all they had to do was touch 2nd base. It's no different than 2 outs, bases loaded, dropped strike 3 and the catcher just touches home plate for the out.
Makina

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner