The Umpire Corner

Dropped 3rd

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by AdmittedBias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:29 am

here is the scenario:

Runner on first
Two Outs
Dropped third strike

Catcher throws down to second base because the runner took off on the pitch, short stop catches the ball and tags second... not out called

So she tags the runner ... out is called

The batter never really took off to first base, just stood there stunned.

I overheard the umpire ask the UIC when the out should have been called, he said that because the batter didn't attempt to go to first, the tag at second wasn't an out and that the tag of the runner was the right time to call the out.

When does the out occur?
AdmittedBias

by MTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am

AdmittedBias wrote:here is the scenario:

Runner on first
Two Outs
Dropped third strike

Catcher throws down to second base because the runner took off on the pitch, short stop catches the ball and tags second... not out called

So she tags the runner ... out is called

The batter never really took off to first base, just stood there stunned.

I overheard the umpire ask the UIC when the out should have been called, he said that because the batter didn't attempt to go to first, the tag at second wasn't an out and that the tag of the runner was the right time to call the out.

When does the out occur?

Wrong a couple different ways.

When there is a U3K and the situation permits the batter to attempt to advance to 1B, the batter becomes a batter-runner whether s/he runs or not. That means the runner on 1B is FORCED to advance to 2B whether the BR runs or not.

This is a classic force out and R1 is and should be declared out the moment the defense touches 2nd with or while in possession of the ball or the runner prior to him/her touching 2B

This would be true of all rule sets of which I am aware and that would include ASA,NFHS,NCAA & ISF.
MTR

by AdmittedBias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 am

That is what I thought, but the umpires were adamant. Thanks!
AdmittedBias

by Bretman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 am

With UIC's like that, we don't need any coaches! :D
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by UmpSteve » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Bretman wrote:With UIC's like that, we don't need any coaches! :D

Agreed, if there was a UIC involved.

Just a wild-a$$ed guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the OP reference to UIC meant the PU talking to the BU.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AdmittedBias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:14 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
Bretman wrote:With UIC's like that, we don't need any coaches! :D

Agreed, if there was a UIC involved.

Just a wild-a$$ed guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the OP reference to UIC meant the PU talking to the BU.

Nope, the UIC, not on the field, called to the field between innings...
AdmittedBias

by Imperial SB Dad » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:22 pm

According to UIC logic then if the ball was thrown to 1st there would have been no force out. Totally wrong and baffling to me.
Imperial SB Dad

by okla21fan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Spazsdad wrote:If the batter did not run on the D3K why didnt the catcher just tag her instead of throwing down to 2B?

Educated guess......F2 was probably not aware (or paying attention to) of the count before the pitch.
okla21fan

by AdmittedBias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Spazsdad wrote:If the batter did not run on the D3K why didnt the catcher just tag her instead of throwing down to 2B?

Very good question, I have to assume that she either

1) didn't realize that it was a third strike and was trying to get the girl out at second
or
2) she spaced out
AdmittedBias

by AdmittedBias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:42 pm

okla21fan wrote:

Educated guess......F2 was probably not aware (or paying attention to) of the count before the pitch.

I would be willing to give him that except he was the one pleading his case to the UIC; which he wouldn't have done had someone *ahem* in the stands not yell that they should learn the rules...bad parent moment. ;)
AdmittedBias

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner