Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Illegal Pitches

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Sam wrote:Let them use the same rules used by the men. Get rid of the pitcher's plate lines. Have the umpires call the actual strike zone....no Chevy emblem. The game would be fine with less arguing.

Do you honestly believe that would cut down on the arguing? :D

BTW, I agree, but the first time an umpire calls a chest high pitch on the inside corner a strike, the coaches will be howling :lol:
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am

Marriard wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:My personal opinion is that the 'leap' is the gateway to the 'replant' or 'crow-hop' which do give an advantage ...

I agree - so they could easily make a the rule change to remove the 'leap' call while leaving in the rules replants/crowhops as illegal pitches which I do agree provide an advantage. This would be a much easier call for the umpires to make and would take a whole lot of judgement out of the call as it stands today.

Or they could do the opposite - which they did - :mrgreen: :lol:
HugoTafurst

by jonriv » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:01 pm

IMO the problem is that they do not call illegal pitches enough- if it is in the rules-enforce it. Just came from my DD's college conference playoffs- opposing pitcher was out of the lane 2 out of three pitches- she was so blatant that the lines were gone by the third inning- ump finally gave her a "warning"in the 4th
jonriv

by Comp » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:38 pm

jonriv wrote:IMO the problem is that they do not call illegal pitches enough- if it is in the rules-enforce it. Just came from my DD's college conference playoffs- opposing pitcher was out of the lane 2 out of three pitches- she was so blatant that the lines were gone by the third inning- ump finally gave her a "warning"in the 4th

I was watching my daughters game the other day on streaming video and was trying to capture some of it to post, but never could get it to save. Pitcher was leaping sideways, replanting at least a foot outside the 24" lane and then stepping back inside the lane to throw a screw ball. Never called a single time in the entire game.
Comp

by HugoTafurst » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:30 pm

jonriv wrote:IMO the problem is that they do not call illegal pitches enough- if it is in the rules-enforce it. Just came from my DD's college conference playoffs- opposing pitcher was out of the lane 2 out of three pitches- she was so blatant that the lines were gone by the third inning- ump finally gave her a "warning"in the 4th

Where are you guys when we DO call them???
:?
HugoTafurst

by jonriv » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:

Where are you guys when we DO call them???
:?

On our fifth or sixth red cup
jonriv

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner