Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Obstruction Protection

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by playball13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 am

Pretty quiet here, so I thought I would make up some scenarios.
ASA rules, no one out, no one on.
Single to LF, BR collides with F3 standing on 1B while rounding the base. BU extends arm for obstruction.
BR continues 10 feet to 2nd then heads back to 1B. Throw from LF gets by 2B and goes down right field line. BR is now standing on 1B, sees the ball go by and runs to 2B and gets thrown out on a bang bang play at 2B.
If BU had only protected BR to 1B is obstruction waved off once runner goes back to 1B and runner is now out at 2B? Or is runner placed back at 1B?
If runner never made it all the way back to 1B would they be placed back on 1B instead of out at 2B?
playball13

by Comp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Once obstruction has been called, the runner may not be called out between the 2 bases where the obstruction occured. Until the play is complete, the runner in your situation is protected between 1st and 2nd base. If they returned to 1st, ball got away on throw in and they now attempted to advance but got thrown out going into 2nd, they are still protected. As to which base they would get depends entirely on the umpires judgement as to which base they would have safely attained absent the obstuction.
Comp

by Comp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm

ASA 8-5-B-1 An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where obstructed. Exceptions: a: When an obstructed runner, after the obstruction, safely obtains they would have been awarded, in the umpires judgment, had there been no obstruction and there is a subsequent play on a different runner.

In the play presented, the batter/runner was obstructed rounding 1st base. We dont know if the runner attained the base the umpire would have awarded, and, there was no play on a different runner. Protection has not ended for the obstructed runner until the ball is back in the circle and all play has ceased.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am

Comp, I believe what you say is true. That said, I would bet that in the scenario as laid out, if the throw beats the runner to 2b, 9 times out of 10 this will be called an out.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Comp, I believe what you say is true. That said, I would bet that in the scenario as laid out, if the throw beats the runner to 2b, 9 times out of 10 this will be called an out.

Maybe in your area, not in mine. I would say 3 out of 10 because their too lazy to learn the rules, but not 9 of 10.

BTW, Comp is 100% right and the umpire who does call that runner out will lose the protest.
MTR

by playball13 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:13 pm

So if we spin this a little differently.
R1 on 1B, no out. Single to LF.
BR hits 1B and is obstructed by F3. Let's assume BU judgement is safe at 1B.
BR rounds 1B and comes back and touches 1B. R1 goes to 3B. F7 throws to 3B and it gets by.
BR goes to 2B and gets thrown out by F1 backing up 3B.
Since BR obtained base protected to, 1B, and there was a play on another runner is BR now out?
playball13

by MTR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 pm

playball13 wrote:So if we spin this a little differently.
BR rounds 1B and comes back and touches 1B. R1 goes to 3B. F7 throws to 3B and it gets by.
Since BR obtained base protected to, 1B, and there was a play on another runner is BR now out?

Though I believe your scenario is unlikely, let's not "assume" the runner is safe at first, you've already stated that she is. I assume what you mean is that the BU did not judge that the OBS impeded the runner from attaining 2B safely. ;)

But that would be correct.
MTR

by Fuddrules » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 am

playball13 wrote:So if we spin this a little differently.

Doesn't it matter where F3 obstructed the BR?

Seems here F3 obstructed BR after reaching 1st in which case, was she then not protected between 1st and 2nd? If so, she would not be out on this play, the umpire would put her at 1st or 2nd.

Or what am I missing?
Fuddrules

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am

Fuddrules wrote:[snip]
Or what am I missing?

The subsequent play on another runner.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
Fuddrules wrote:[snip]
Or what am I missing?

The subsequent play on another runner.

Which is covered in ASA Rule 8.5.B.1.Exception.a on Page 89 of the 2012 rule book or RS 36.B on page 129 (Umpire's edition)
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner