Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Illegal pitch... question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am

I dont remember what it is called or exact timing. When a pitcher fails to deliver the pitch within xxxx amount of time. What exactly is this called?
Next, exactly when does the clock start ticking on the pitcher to deliver a pitch?

I mean, does it start when the batter enters the box? When pitcher is on the pitchers plate? And how long does she have?
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 am

NFHS 6-2-3 Once the ball has been returned to the pitcher to prepare for the next pitch, she has 20 seconds to release the next pitch
Penalty: The batter is rewarded a ball
NFHS 7-3-1 A batter shall not delay the game by failing to promptly take her position in the batters box within 10 seconds after the ball is returned to the pitcher to prepare for the next pitch ...
Penalty: ... strike ... etc.

In both cases I believe it is refered to as a 'delay' ... But the batter is also considered to be 'out of position' ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

I hate this rule. so as soon as the pitcher gets the ball back, the clock is ticking, even though a batter is normally not in the box. Then when the batter gets in the box, they should have 10 seconds to deliver the pitch?

A shot clock should be installed and placed on the backstop so the pitcher knows exactly where they are.

It was called only once this last weekend, and wouldnt you know it, the count was full.
Iluvblue

by Comp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am

FED doesnt require it, but ASA rules do state the batter is to keep 1 foot in the box when taking signals. The umpire should determine if it is the batter or the pitcher that is creating the delay and penalize accordingly. If it is the batter, call a strike, if the pitcher, a ball.

Something I have been seeing more and more of from pitchers is taking the signal behind the pitching plate, then stepping on. Nothing wrong with this at all, but, the rules do state that after taking position on the plate with the hands separated, the pitcher must at least simulate taking a signal (pausing with hands separated). If you have a pitcher that is borderline on the 20 second limit between pitches, taking the signal behind the plate only adds time to their delivery. Why not just step on the plate and take the signal? It also eliminates the chance of being called for an illegal pitch for not pausing with the hands separated.
Comp

by Iluvblue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 am

This was an NCAA game.
Iluvblue

by Comp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 am

NCAA is a little different. Both the pitcher and batter are to be in position within 10 seconds of the pitcher receiving the ball in the circle. After stepping on, the pitcher has 10 seconds to bring the hands together. Once the hands are together, the pitcher must pitch the ball within 5 seconds.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am

Iluvblue wrote:I hate this rule. so as soon as the pitcher gets the ball back, the clock is ticking, even though a batter is normally not in the box. Then when the batter gets in the box, they should have 10 seconds to deliver the pitch?

A shot clock should be installed and placed on the backstop so the pitcher knows exactly where they are.

It was called only once this last weekend, and wouldnt you know it, the count was full.

20 seconds ... 10 seconds is REALLY a long time in Fast Pitch Softball terms ... It has to be a pretty excessive delay to get called, IMHO ... I've never seen it called in HS, but in ASA/NSA time limit games when a team was obviously trying to stall ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 pm

I normally do not start counting unless it obvious the pitcher is taking a long time. Just sitting around watching games the other day I started timing various pitchers and in general they seemed to be getting the ball off in 15-16 seconds after receiving the ball back in the circle. It seemed to be a pretty standard rythm to all the pitchers I watched, so a pitcher taking any longer would be pretty obvious.
Comp

by Iluvblue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:36 pm

The pitcher in question does work very slow, so IMO, the umpire was probably correct in making the call. I just hate the fact of the randomness of it, and the fact that all of the sudden in the 3rd inning with runners on base and with a full count on the pitcher, it was now for some reason called.
Iluvblue

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Believe it or not, there is actually a need for this rule.

Older male pitcher from Boise, did not have much speed left in the tank, so he was going with the ultra crafty approach. He would stand on the mound for as long as possible, batter would be going crazy, umpire too. Even his own parents would join in, but they were doing it to the batters determent. He would throw the next pitch almost in one continuous motion with the briefest of pause at seperation, with the pitch crossing the plate before the umpire, batter or anyone realized what had happened.

That pitcher should have never gotten a single out against a way better team, but his shtick allowed him to get through 6 innings before they finally settled in enough and run him off. He obviously had been doing this a very long time, he had developed amazing timing and always had blue, batter and the opposing team way worked up.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner