Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Young Umpires

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softball4 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:23 am

What are your feelings on young ladies umpiring? My DD is 15 and has now umpired ASA for 2 spring seasons and just finished Fall Ball. She has had some interesting experiences. A coach challenging her on a call, she listened, went back behind home plate got in position and he came after her yelling that he understood she was young and still learning, etc... It was so loud and bad that parents from both sides gasped and waited to see what she would do. She promptly removed her mask went up and told him he was out of line, she did not deserve that comment, that her age had no bearing on her abilities, and if she heard anything like that again she would eject him. The only thing her partner criticized her for was shaking her finger at him. Mind you she has played the game since 7, pitches and has pitched for 6 years, plays Varsity High School and high level ASA. I think she probably gets the game by now. She enjoys umpiring and I think it is great experience for her both as a plyer and learning leassons in life.
softball4

by wadeintothem » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 am

I really think it is great and I hope she sticks it out. Every year I use young umpire/players in my rec league. They do a great job, although not enough stick it out or try to advance.

Good for her on handling the coach and I have no problem with the way she did it... except, if she was my umpire, I would have recommended an immediate ejection for the 2nd set of comments (which are meant to degrade the umpire on a personal level) instead of a finger wagging... although I would have enjoyed watching one of my young umpires giving the coach the finger as well. :mrgreen:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by skahtboi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 am

wadeintothem wrote:I really think it is great and I hope she sticks it out. Every year I use young umpire/players in my rec league. They do a great job, although not enough stick it out or try to advance.

Good for her on handling the coach and I have no problem with the way she did it... except, if she was my umpire, I would have recommended an immediate ejection for the 2nd set of comments (which are meant to degrade the umpire on a personal level) instead of a finger wagging. :mrgreen:

I pretty much agree with these comments.
skahtboi

by softball4 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 am

Yeah, it was nice to see her stand up to him. That is what her partner told her she should have just pointed him to the parking lot. I told her when she gets frutrated with people, don't, not only do they have to listen to you but they pay you. We are trying to get more girls involved in it. She made a pretty profound statement for a 15yr old, when we were talking about it and she said she has to be the best, and the ultimate professional if she wants to pave the way for other young ladies who want to umpire. She realizes if she acts like a twit, she can ruin it for all of them. As a player it has really helped her game as a pitcher, she realizes that goofy looks, attitude and snotty comments get you no favors with an umpire. She is going to stick with it, and all the local umpires really support her.
softball4

by MTR » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:03 pm

softball4 wrote: She enjoys umpiring and I think it is great experience for her both as a plyer and learning leassons in life.

I wish more young men and ladies would get involved. Many do not understand the commitment which needs to be made. However, they don't understand the benefits of learning the rest of the game and that it is worth the commitment in the long run.

Your DD will be fine. As others have alluded, the coach should have been dumped when he followed her. She needs to learn that there is no need for an explanation or argument. The only people which have a right to an explanation are the league administrators for the need of determining whether the ejected individual needs more remedial absence from the game.

Good luck to her, hope she advances and keeps up the good work.
MTR

by skahtboi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 am

And think, if she keeps it up, she could be a "grizzled old vet," at the age of 25!!! :D
skahtboi

by Clean_up » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Good for her! My DD is now 16, has been playing since she was 6 and started umpiring at age 14 during the winter season, she even umpired ASA B Districts one year. She too has had to handle crazy coaches and if your DD can umpire REC, any age division, with the class she has already proven then she's going to be a strong young lady indeed. Kudos! My DD is too busy playing TB and working on her studies to umpire right now, but I hope she picks it up again - money's good and what other part-time job lets you set your own hours, choose what games to work, etc. WAY WAY better than any other entry-level part-time work around! They learn how to handle themselves in difficult situations very quickly!

She especially liked to work the 8U games because most of the kids are so sweet, my DD is rather on the short side and these little girls just loved her, she was like one of them almost. They all just smile at her - it was cute and she enjoyed being around them
Clean_up

Return to The Umpire Corner