Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

A strange call in Las Vegas

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by 9ersporvida » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:14 am

Here is one of the strangest umpire involved plays I have ever seen and I am curious to see what others think:
Here is the play: 1st game of pool play of 14U, runners on 3rd & 2nd, pass ball runners advance with runner on 3rd scoring, catcher throws ball back to pitcher while pitcher was out of the circle, umpire doesn't call time out and decides to clean plate while play is still active, runner on 3rd runs home while ump is still brushing off plate blocking throw from pitcher to catcher, pitcher holds on to the ball...home plate umpire allows run to count and says he's sorry but there is nothing he could have done because time out wasnt called...Is this the right call?
9ersporvida

by Comp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 am

Umpire should not have been sweeping the plate while ball was still live. But, by stepping onto the field and sweeping the plate, he has implied that time was called and should have put the runner back at 3rd.
Comp

by softballaddict » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

What a doorknob! You should ALWAYS call time before cleaning the plate, and as Comp said it is implied by doing so. Then you should NOT penalize a team for YOUR stupid move. Umpires should also subscribe to the hippocratic (sp) oath: First, do no harm.
softballaddict

by V'sDad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

Was this a single umpire or a two umpire crew?
V'sDad

by 9ersporvida » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 am

V'sDad wrote:Was this a single umpire or a two umpire crew?

(2) man crew and the field ump just had a blank look on his face...quite bizzare
9ersporvida

by 9ersporvida » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am

Comp wrote:Umpire should not have been sweeping the plate while ball was still live. But, by stepping onto the field and sweeping the plate, he has implied that time was called and should have put the runner back at 3rd.

He was quite a large fellow too and the best part is the runner from 3rd had to step over his hand to touch the plate
9ersporvida

by DP3816 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 am

Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief about this but I think the pitcher should have unleased the hardest throw she could and hit the ump (quite a large fellow) in his quite large arse.
DP3816

by V'sDad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:05 am

Sounds like 2 green umpires that need to go back to Mechanics Clinic. Completely unacceptable for travel umpires. You might see this from 1st year Rec umpires.
V'sDad

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 am

DP3816 wrote:Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief about this but I think the pitcher should have unleased the hardest throw she could and hit the ump (quite a large fellow) in his quite large arse.

Good idea Einstein ... And then, we can let Umpires throw balls at all the Coaches who make mistakes ... And fans, lets let them start throwing sh*t too ... :roll: ( was that about the amount of grief you expected ? ) :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by THE GODFATHER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
DP3816 wrote:Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief about this but I think the pitcher should have unleased the hardest throw she could and hit the ump (quite a large fellow) in his quite large arse.

Good idea Einstein ... And then, we can let Umpires throw balls at all the Coaches who make mistakes ... And fans, lets let them start throwing sh*t too ... :roll: ( was that about the amount of grief you expected ? ) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :ugeek:
THE GODFATHER

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner