Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

HS PITCHING QUESTION

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

"Prior to the start of the pitch the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on top of the pitcher's plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate. Both feet must be on the ground and within the 24 inch width of the pitcher's plate. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together."

The above NFHS rule talks about "a step backward". I've never umpired a HS game but my DD is about to play in her first. Does the "step backward" apply only to a HS pitcher calling for time?
SoCalASABlue

by Comp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote="SoCalASABlue"]"Prior to the start of the pitch the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on top of the pitcher's plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate.

You did not finish the entire portion of that sentence from the FED rule book. "in contact with or behind the pitchers plate" is the rest of the sentence.

The pitcher can start with the foot back, or step back prior to the hands being brought together. Once the hands are together, all motion must be forward.
Comp

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 pm

thanks
SoCalASABlue

by Steve M » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 pm

As Comp said, in Fed ball
F1 may step backward before or "as" the pitcher's hands come together.
just an umpire
NFHS, ASA, PONY, NCAA, ISC, NPF
Steve M

by BeyondTheScoreBoard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:50 pm

In High School, the pitcher can step back with the stride leg as long as the step starts prior to the hands coming together. Once the hands come together, the only step she can take is forward. It has nothing to do with calling time.

If your DD pitches per ASA rules in high school she will be fine.
BeyondTheScoreBoard

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 pm

BeyondTheScoreBoard wrote:In High School, the pitcher can step back with the stride leg as long as the step starts prior to the hands coming together. Once the hands come together, the only step she can take is forward. It has nothing to do with calling time.

If your DD pitches per ASA rules in high school she will be fine.

Edumacate me, in ASA she can step back prior to the hands coming together ? :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Where does that post even insinuate the step back is allowed in ASA? It says, if you follow ASA pitching rules, you will have no problem with being legal in HS.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 am

Comp wrote:Where does that post even insinuate the step back is allowed in ASA? It says, if you follow ASA pitching rules, you will have no problem with being legal in HS.

Yep, you're right ... and so was BeyondTheScoreBoard ... Either my eyes or my brain mis-read or mis-interpreted ... My bad
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner