Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Look back rule - point of emphasis in NFHS?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 am

MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Nsablue wrote:being an nsa umpire, i dont have a look back rule, i have offensive interference on base couch for touching the player, dead ball baserunner is out!

Interference for a coaching giving a high five? That seems a bit extreme don't you think and certainly not the intent of any rule that has been written to cover interference.

He did say NSA. I think it is a CS ruling, but the NCAA has a similar award that restricts touching a BR/R by anyone other than the coach or active runners on a DEAD ball award.

NCAA first offense in a game is a warning; no out called unless repeated. Still CS, but not as extreme as suggested.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 am

UmpSteve wrote:NCAA first offense in a game is a warning; no out called unless repeated. Still CS, but not as extreme as suggested.

I would love to know who ever came up with a rule like the NCAA's and why. If they don't want the crowd around the plate, and I would agree there are times that can become problematic, just make the players stay in the dugout unless there is a legitimate reason to be out of it.
MTR

by ajaywill » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Comp wrote:I will defer to Ajay when he checks in as to how we have been instructed to handle this situation. He was our instructor the night we had a rather lengthy discussion regarding the BR and the LBR.

In the play offered, I have nothing.

If the ball was not back in the circle, the LB rule isn't even an option. Despite the casebook play, I would not rule on the abandonment until she entered the dugout. I have been told that if the casebook and rule book seem to contradict each other to go with the rule book.

Even if the ball had gotten back to the circle, I can't see a lookback violation here.
ajaywill

by shagpal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 pm

your wish is granted. that would be dee abrahamson. in fact, you can ask her yourself. here it is, "ask dee".

http://sup.arbitersports.com/front/1044 ... ms/Ask-Dee

good luck and let us know what you find out.

MTR wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:NCAA first offense in a game is a warning; no out called unless repeated. Still CS, but not as extreme as suggested.

I would love to know who ever came up with a rule like the NCAA's and why. If they don't want the crowd around the plate, and I would agree there are times that can become problematic, just make the players stay in the dugout unless there is a legitimate reason to be out of it.
shagpal

by MTR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:55 pm

shagpal wrote:your wish is granted. that would be dee abrahamson. in fact, you can ask her yourself. here it is, "ask dee".

That's okay, I'll ask when I see her in Dallas
MTR

by tcannizzo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Nsablue wrote:being an nsa umpire, i dont have a look back rule, i have offensive interference on base couch for touching the player, dead ball baserunner is out!

Interference for a coaching giving a high five? That seems a bit extreme don't you think and certainly not the intent of any rule that has been written to cover interference.

He did say NSA. I think it is a CS ruling, but the NCAA has a similar award that restricts touching a BR/R by anyone other than the coach or active runners on a DEAD ball award.

NCAA first offense in a game is a warning; no out called unless repeated. Still CS, but not as extreme as suggested.

Interesting. I just watched the GA/FL game from last weekend. And the FL player hit one over the fence and 3B Coach high-fived her rounding 3B. Was a warning issued that just wasn't televised?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

tcannizzo wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:
MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:

Interesting. I just watched the GA/FL game from last weekend. And the FL player hit one over the fence and 3B Coach high-fived her rounding 3B. Was a warning issued that just wasn't televised?

No, because the rule only applies to offensive team members other than coaches and active runners.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 pm

ajaywill wrote:
Comp wrote:I will defer to Ajay when he checks in as to how we have been instructed to handle this situation. He was our instructor the night we had a rather lengthy discussion regarding the BR and the LBR.

In the play offered, I have nothing.

If the ball was not back in the circle, the LB rule isn't even an option. Despite the casebook play, I would not rule on the abandonment until she entered the dugout. I have been told that if the casebook and rule book seem to contradict each other to go with the rule book.

Even if the ball had gotten back to the circle, I can't see a lookback violation here.

Well ... That's what I argued because that is what they offered as their ruling ... And since I was successful in getting the result I was after, that's as far as it went on the field ... But then in reading the LB Rule and them saying it had been a point of emphasis, I wanted clarification ... Thanks for your input ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by ajaywill » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm

The Points of Emphasis from the NFHS this year are:

Pitching
Legal Apparel and Equipment
On-Deck Battter/Location

It is entirely possible that the look back rule was a point of emphasis in their local area this year, and judging from your description, continues to be a need in that area.....
ajaywill

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner