Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitcher's finger taping?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by dittoz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:27 am

and if you know CR at all...

Which is what I want to stay away from. Don't know CR, and based on his reaction when Mr. Umpire started doing something, he clearly was well informed on the rules and many were not...

As to the thought that the adhesive may have been in contact, I would doubt it. Even if it was, after a few innings I'd bet the dirt would have negated that issue.

We lost by a walk-off run right after when we made a bad throw that allowed the tying run to cross. Parents were going nuts over the tape, but when you make the error...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 am

So it's ok to use a foreign substance as long as it doesn't come off on the ball, is that what you are saying? I would then expect you to have no problem if a pitcher used a full glove on that hand, perhaps a surgical glove made of rubber or latex which would GREATLY increase grip? After all, she is injured *wink wink*
Old Darter

by dittoz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:21 am

I try to stay pretty real-world on these issues;

A) If the rules don't expressly forbid it
B) If I don't think anyone is trying to exploit a loophole
C) If it doesn't gain them any kind of advantage

and most importantly... (in my opinion)

D) If I don't look at it from the perspective of "what are they doing to this little kid?"

... then I typically just sit back and realize that what we're talking about is a game where little girls are supposed to be having fun. If someone wants to make themselves look like fools, or play vicariously through their kid, then I am more interested watch the people go nuts.

When the kid is in a situation where it materially impacts my daughter's team or my daughter's ability to move up/on, THEN I will worry about it.
dittoz

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 am

Wait a few years and you naivety will disappear, particularly when you're looking at scholarships worth $100k or more!
Old Darter

by umpinva » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:15 pm

dittoz wrote:and most importantly... (in my opinion)

You may want to change that to: In my judgment.

Coaches and players could care less about your opinion. ;)
umpinva

by dittoz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Easy there turbo - you obviously didn't read the post entirely.

Don't be misled into thinking I'm naive - in fact, this is my 3rd go-round and what was important when KID #1 played does not carry the impact it did then. KID #2 started to teach us what was more realistic, and with KID #3, it's very clear what matters and what doesn't. Trust me - a little tape on a 13-yr old pitcher's fingers in a Fall season game does not impact anything even remotely similar to 100K+ scholarships 4 years from now.

What I said (and quite clearly) was...

"When the kid is in a situation where it materially impacts my daughter's team or my daughter's ability to move up/on, THEN I will worry about it."

We're talking about 13 yr old kids in this case, and a fall season to boot. You're not going to tell me that a kid with some tape on her finger at this stage is going to have an impact on my daughter's future unless said tape causes the pitcher to throw balls where they aren't meant to go . As a matter of fact, KID #3 went 2-3 with a walk against this taped up opponent.

When we get into a spring season where we're back in Fresno, HB, Georgia or the like and there are consequences, then yes... I'll join the ranks of those making sure everyone is in fact playing by the rules. But in the meantime, I will keep chuckling at the efforts of those living on their own ego.
dittoz

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Ah, so you only follow the RULES some of the time? We've all been in "let it slide" scenarios. I could care less that you don't sweat it in the fall, although in my judgement that attitude is what gets you beat in the summer. If you want to teach your kids to relax in the fall and only work hard in summer, that's your issue.

I'm more concerned with the interpretation by a Blue (or Blues) or a TD or an UIC or ASA that a foreign substance of ANY kind (including the none adhesive side of tape) should be allowed on the pitching hand of the active pitcher. Of course tape affects the rotation and movement of the ball. Why allow it at any time? It's ridiculous to say "as long as the adhesive doesn't come off". What would you do if the tape had a sandpaper type backing? It doesn't come off on the ball but sure as heck would alter the flight of the pitched ball over the course of an inning.

This should be a black and white rule, enforced 100% of the time. If the pitcher is truly injured she probably shouldn't be putting further stress on her fingers anyway. Especially if she is "just" a little girl.
Old Darter

by dittoz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Didn't we already establish that tape on the finger was permissible? I never said I'm for enforcing things some of the time either - man, you make this a lot more difficult than it needs to be!

I'm all for enforcing rules - that act by itself teaches the kids something. But unlike you apparently come across, I'm not going to blow it all out of proportion by accusing them of cheating when the rules I'm seeing posted here state pretty clearly that there is nothing illegal about it.

If the act of A, B or C violates either the letter or the spirit of the rule, then I'm all for enforcing it, but once again, I'm not going to invoke a trumped up controversy just to make drama - 13 yr olds do enough of that already. My original post specifically states she had her finger taped and that's what I continue to refer to. Since then, you've brought up latex gloves, adhesives and sandpaper - not sure what you're in to, but that ain't what this post was about...

Thanks for the entertainment though...
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Old Darter wrote:Ah, so you only follow the RULES some of the time? We've all been in "let it slide" scenarios. I could care less that you don't sweat it in the fall, although in my judgement that attitude is what gets you beat in the summer. If you want to teach your kids to relax in the fall and only work hard in summer, that's your issue.

I'm more concerned with the interpretation by a Blue (or Blues) or a TD or an UIC or ASA that a foreign substance of ANY kind (including the none adhesive side of tape) should be allowed on the pitching hand of the active pitcher. Of course tape affects the rotation and movement of the ball. Why allow it at any time? It's ridiculous to say "as long as the adhesive doesn't come off". What would you do if the tape had a sandpaper type backing? It doesn't come off on the ball but sure as heck would alter the flight of the pitched ball over the course of an inning.

This should be a black and white rule, enforced 100% of the time. If the pitcher is truly injured she probably shouldn't be putting further stress on her fingers anyway. Especially if she is "just" a little girl.

It is in black and white; it is expressly allowed. The rule doesnt say anything specific which would even require injury. It is even addressed in the rule case book.
2008 Case Book
PLAY 6.6-1
F1 has tape on the pitching hand.
RULING: Legal. As long as the umpire rules that the tape is not distracting the batter. (6-6)

tape, unless distracting, is allowed on the pitching hand. Nothing about injury. I think you need to look to ASA to change it if you want it changed; any interpretation other than allowing it is protestable. This is a not a secret rule just discovered. This is a known issue for anyone who knows ASA rules. It is also a known difference between ASA and NFHS, for those of us who work both.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Thank you for the definitive clarification.
Old Darter

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner