Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Blues lack of providing all the information - good or bad ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am

Last edited by Crabby_Bob on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by softballaddict » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 am

I actually prefer "Blue". When a coach calls you by name, the other side thinks you're their buddy or something, creating the appearance of favoritism, even though I DO NOT play favorites. It happened twice to me this weekend. Once when a parent I knew asked how much time was left, the opposing team fans began to comment the the other team knew me by name. I did not even realize they were there until then. The second instance, another game, the coach actually remembered my name from the introduction, and called me by name when he was questioning a call. He was courteous, and it was a reasonable question, but again it gives the appearance of favoritism, or at least familiarity. Not good if you ask me, but nobody asked me. Then again maybe he didn't (Sorry Battle) :lol:
softballaddict

by HugoTafurst » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Close play at first base ... I can't tell from the stands, ( NCAA CONF. Tourny this past weekend ) but the first bagger ( DD ) stretches and may have rocked forward and back at the same moment BR reaches first ... Field Blue calls her out ... OC says she was off the bag and asks Field Blue if he would ask Plate Blue for help, he agrees and they come together ... After a short discussion he reverses his call ... Play on
After the game, the Plate Blue confides in the DC that the BR was in fact out, that the Field Blue asked him " Did she pull her foot ? " To which he answered ' Yes ' ... But the Field Blue never asked him " Did she then put her foot back on the base prior to the BR reaching it ? " So not being asked, he never offered the information ...

If that is true, it is ridiculous.....

You are telling me that at the NCAA level a PU did not know what U1 wanted to know????? Sheesh.

IF what you are relating is what really happened

(I was late to the dance and responded before seeing all the other posts - but it bears repeating......
SHEESH!)
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Close play at first base ... I can't tell from the stands, ( NCAA CONF. Tourny this past weekend ) but the first bagger ( DD ) stretches and may have rocked forward and back at the same moment BR reaches first ... Field Blue calls her out ... OC says she was off the bag and asks Field Blue if he would ask Plate Blue for help, he agrees and they come together ... After a short discussion he reverses his call ... Play on
After the game, the Plate Blue confides in the DC that the BR was in fact out, that the Field Blue asked him " Did she pull her foot ? " To which he answered ' Yes ' ... But the Field Blue never asked him " Did she then put her foot back on the base prior to the BR reaching it ? " So not being asked, he never offered the information ...

If that is true, it is ridiculous.....

You are telling me that at the NCAA level a PU did not know what U1 wanted to know????? Sheesh.

IF what you are relating is what really happened

(I was late to the dance and responded before seeing all the other posts - but it bears repeating......
SHEESH!)

Yes, really true ... Didn't affect the outcome of the game ... And even if it did, I try to always see things from all sides ... I figured DD pulled her foot and PU saw it ... Play on ... DC Coach told me in casual conversation after the game ... We were just yaking it up ... They had a while before the final game started ... I have NO ax to grind here, just looking for thoughts and input ... But, if you are indicating that there are not NCAA Umpires who are not as qualified as others, I believe you are mistaken ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Battle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 am

playball13 wrote:I also like to be called "nobody" because nobody is perfect.

That's pretty funny although I stopped being perfect to the ones that thought I was perfect, somewhere around the time they turned into a teenager. Dang it! :P
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 am

Battle wrote:

That's pretty funny although I stopped being perfect to the ones that thought I was perfect, somewhere around the time they turned into a teenager. Dang it! :P

In seven years, they'll be astonished at how much you've learned in that time.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by wadeintothem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:They can call me by my name. That's why I introduce myself.

No, they dont need to call you by your name. It is better for us all if you dont have a chip on your shoulder and walk around making up stuff that just applies to you because you create a little belief for yourself. "Blue" is what we get called, that is our "title" ...there are enough real issues without self created crusades. Let em play ball. Do your job. Youre not the provisional governor of a small country, your officiating a game, blue.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by UmpSteve » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:They can call me by my name. That's why I introduce myself.

No, they dont need to call you by your name. It is better for us all if you dont have a chip on your shoulder and walk around making up stuff that just applies to you because you create a little belief for yourself. "Blue" is what we get called, that is our "title" ...there are enough real issues without self created crusades. Let em play ball. Do your job. Youre not the provisional governor of a small country, your officiating a game, blue.

He speaks!! And well stated, as well!!

Hope all is well, my friend.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
Battle wrote:

In seven years, they'll be astonished at how much you've learned in that time.

LOL...Yeah, so true.
Isn't it funny how you go from perfect to not knowing sh*t to being a pretty smart old man but never perfect again... :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MTR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 am

UmpSteve wrote:
He speaks!! And well stated, as well!!

Hope all is well, my friend.

Guess they finally got him out of those caves downwind of the fields of contraband the DEA started burning last year. :)

Just kidding. Hope you are doing fine.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner