Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Still a force?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Battle » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Runner on 1st and 2nd with one out. Ball hit to F6 who, for some strange reason, throws to 1st but F3 is pulled off the base for a safe call. The runner running to 3rd stumbles and falls. F3 throws to 3rd before runner reaches 3rd. Is 3rd still a forced out since the batter runner was safe or does F5 have to tag because of the attempted throw to 1st?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Comp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Yes is still a force. The other runners were all forced to the next base by the advance of the batter/runner. The batter/runner being safe does not stop the other runners from being forced to the next base.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:53 am

Only 'not a force' if the BR was thrown out at first in this case ... Or if ( in another scenario ) any trailing runner(s) was put out prior to reaching the base to which they were forced ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 am

Once BR is retired, the force is off.
Here is something that would make this type of play even more interesting:

B3 hits ground ball to F1 on right side, whose only play is to 1B. Ball beats BR, but F3 pulls foot.
BU calls BR Out. F3 then has time to throw to 3B to force R1 (R1 is not tagged). PU then calls R1 Out, on the apparent force at 3B.

Offense offers a proper Dead Ball Appeal for the missed base by BR.
BR is declared Safe.
R1 is also now Safe.

File this one under "Difficult Situations".
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Battle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 am

Comp wrote:Yes is still a force. The other runners were all forced to the next base by the advance of the batter/runner. The batter/runner being safe does not stop the other runners from being forced to the next base.

Thanks. That's what I thought but was making sure.
Last edited by Battle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by CoachJaimie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:46 pm

TCan - how would it be a force if the BR was mistakenly called out? That would turn it into a tag play. If accidentally called safe then the force would be on.

Secondly if they had time to throw from 1st to 3rd why didn't the pitcher have time to throw to third for the force in the first place?

Just asking.
CoachJaimie

by tcannizzo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

CoachJaimie wrote:TCan - how would it be a force if the BR was mistakenly called out? That would turn it into a tag play. If accidentally called safe then the force would be on.

Secondly if they had time to throw from 1st to 3rd why didn't the pitcher have time to throw to third for the force in the first place?

Just asking.

It was a long weekend and i think you are right, but some may have gone with what I meant rather than what I wrote. :oops:

Your 2nd question is valid also, and I did not mean that it was as tightly tied to the OP as you understandably interpreted.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

Return to The Umpire Corner