Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher's Box

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by playball13 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am

An umpire can move F2 back in the box if they feel F2 is at risk of getting hurt.
playball13

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 05, 2012 3:05 am

zenmaster wrote:We had an umpire tell us last week that the catcher must be behind the line before the pitch is released even if the batter moved up in the box. He said if not it's an illegal pitch. I've never heard that before, and from what I'm reading here, it isn't true.

And the Umpire was correct ... Both feet must be inside the Catchers Box until after the pitch is released ... If the Batter is up in the box, your Catcher must still remain inside the Catchers Box, but can reach forward with her glove as long as she is not obstructing the Batter ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Sat May 05, 2012 3:34 am

And the Umpire was correct ... Both feet must be inside the Catchers Box until after the pitch is released ... If the Batter is up in the box, your Catcher must still remain inside the Catchers Box, but can reach forward with her glove as long as she is not obstructing the Batter ...[/quote]

Both ASA and FED have wording in their rules or rules supplements which allow the catcher to move forward without penalty if the batter is up in the front of the batters box. But, it also specifies the batter owns the entire batters box and catcher must avoid obstructing the batter.
Comp

by MTR » Sat May 05, 2012 7:00 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
zenmaster wrote:We had an umpire tell us last week that the catcher must be behind the line before the pitch is released even if the batter moved up in the box. He said if not it's an illegal pitch. I've never heard that before, and from what I'm reading here, it isn't true.

And the Umpire was correct ... Both feet must be inside the Catchers Box until after the pitch is released ... If the Batter is up in the box, your Catcher must still remain inside the Catchers Box, but can reach forward with her glove as long as she is not obstructing the Batter ...

No, that is not correct. The catcher is allowed to move (possibly out of the box) forward if the batter is in the front of the box.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 05, 2012 7:04 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

No, that is not correct. The catcher is allowed to move (possibly out of the box) forward if the batter is in the front of the box.

Thanks for the correction... Can you or Comp site the rule .. I'm not seeing it ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 am

ASA rules supplement 8 (Fast Pitch) The catcher must remain in the box until the pitch is released. The catcher may move closer to the plate without penalty when the batter is positiioned in the front portion of the box during a pitch. However, the catcher mus,t at all times, still avoid catchers obstruction as the batter has the right to the entire box.

Looking for the FED wording, cant find it right off.
Comp

by HugoTafurst » Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 am

tcannizzo wrote:... but is in definite violation if F2's glove is over any part of HP...

Finally got together with my book. ;)
Looked up RS #8 (as mentioned later for support) to confirm that the above statement is definitly false:

Rule Suppliment 8 (Fast Pitch)
"Catchers must remain in the catcher's box until the pich is released"

so far so good, but reading on:
"The catcher may move closer to the plate withouth penalty when the batter is positioned in the front of the batter's box during the pitch. However the catcher must, at all times, still avoid catcher's obstruction as the batter still has the right to the entire batter's box.

Obstruction soes not require contact between the catcher and the bat or batter......."

So by simply holding the glove over home plate, there is no IP or obstruction.
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 05, 2012 1:47 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:... but is in definite violation if F2's glove is over any part of HP...

Finally got together with my book. ;)
Looked up RS #8 (as mentioned later for support) to confirm that the above statement is definitly false:

Rule Suppliment 8 (Fast Pitch)
"Catchers must remain in the catcher's box until the pich is released"

so far so good, but reading on:
"The catcher may move closer to the plate withouth penalty when the batter is positioned in the front of the batter's box during the pitch. However the catcher must, at all times, still avoid catcher's obstruction as the batter still has the right to the entire batter's box.

Obstruction soes not require contact between the catcher and the bat or batter......."

So by simply holding the glove over home plate, there is no IP or obstruction.

Okay... wait ... The "catcher may move closer to the plate" ... or " the catcher may be out of the catchers box " ? If it says the Catcher must be in the catchers box, shouldn't it say as an exception that the 'catcher may be out of the catchers box', not 'move closer to the plate' ? I am NOT trying to be an a-hole ... ;)
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Spazsdad wrote:No matter what the catcher has to be in the box before the pitch is delivered. Once the pitch is released they can move anywhere they want.

That is the way I am seeing it, but these guys that I am not worthy of lacing their Umping cleats seem to be indicating otherwise ... I am not finding it in the book ... But, have been busy at work and now it's beer o'clock ... soo ... hmmm ? look up rules ? cold beer? look up rules ? cold beer? Cold beer ? cold Beer ? cccooollllld beeeerrrrr! ;)
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sat May 05, 2012 2:03 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Okay... wait ... The "catcher may move closer to the plate" ... or " the catcher may be out of the catchers box " ? If it says the Catcher must be in the catchers box, shouldn't it say as an exception that the 'catcher may be out of the catchers box', not 'move closer to the plate' ? I am NOT trying to be an a-hole ... ;)

Well.......... :roll:

This is really simple and, of course, some are trying to outthink this and you are going to hurt yourself if you keep it up.

Quite obviously if the comment is the catcher may move up without penalty, it would be OUT of the box or there would be no penaty from which to be excluded. BTW, nothing new here. A quick check showed this has been in the Rules Supplement (prev. Points of Emphasis) since at least 2000.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner