Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

maybe not

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Wed May 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Our player was stealing 3rd base, ss is breaking for the bag in the baseline directly in front of our runner. 3rd base is running to the bag expecting the ball to meet her there as she arrives. My runner was told by the field blue that she needs to avoid the ss as she was running to the base.

The umpires did a pretty good job in this game, and the home blue I know and respect. I made it clear to my runner that she needs to run straight to the base and do not go around the runner and do what I ask her to do and not the umpire.

I never addressed this with the field umpire, as I felt it was unnecessary as who knows if we would even have an incident again, and if we did, I would address it then.

I would really prefer umpires to not talk to my players about anything other than idle chit chat. Im not bashing the blue here, I thought they had a good game, were professional, cordial, but this guy was very incorrect in what he was telling my runner.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Our player was stealing 3rd base, ss is breaking for the bag in the baseline directly in front of our runner. 3rd base is running to the bag expecting the ball to meet her there as she arrives. My runner was told by the field blue that she needs to avoid the ss as she was running to the base.

The umpire was wrong

I would really prefer umpires to not talk to my players about anything other than idle chit chat. Im not bashing the blue here, I thought they had a good game, were professional, cordial, but this guy was very incorrect in what he was telling my runner.

I'd prefer coaches get a grip. I agree that umpires should not give direction to a player as it pertains on how to play. Nor should there be idle chit-chat initiated by the umpire. There are exceptions, but only to keep all out of trouble, not coaching. And if it is a rule issue, include the coach. If I say something to the player, it is along the lines of who is taking a throw or if I could be blocking an OF vision. I may remind a day-dreaming player to not hang on the base if there is an approaching runner and the ball is still heading toward the fence

I love the coaches who don't want the PU to talk to the catcher, but then get ticked off when you won't tell the pitcher or them what was wrong with the pitch.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 am

MTR wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:Our player was stealing 3rd base, ss is breaking for the bag in the baseline directly in front of our runner. 3rd base is running to the bag expecting the ball to meet her there as she arrives. My runner was told by the field blue that she needs to avoid the ss as she was running to the base.

The umpire was wrong

Yes, assuming the ball was being thrown ... And it very well could be OBS ... But the OP never states whether the ball was hit ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 am

The ball was fouled off, but the point the umpire was making to my runner that when the catcher throws the ball to the ss, my runner needed to avoid the ss trying to catch the ball.

Please, lets not try to change what was said, intent of what was said, and come up with some excuse for this umpire. What he was telling my runner was flat wrong, and I dont really want the man confusing my player.

I was proud of myself... I didnt say a word to him. I just spoke to my player about it and moved on. if we had a play and he made an interference call on my runer, then I would have addressed it.
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Iluvblue wrote:The ball was fouled off, but the point the umpire was making to my runner that when the catcher throws the ball to the ss, my runner needed to avoid the ss trying to catch the ball.

Please, lets not try to change what was said, intent of what was said, and come up with some excuse for this umpire. What he was telling my runner was flat wrong, and I dont really want the man confusing my player.

I was proud of myself... I didnt say a word to him. I just spoke to my player about it and moved on. if we had a play and he made an interference call on my runer, then I would have addressed it.

I was not attempting to change what you said so much as questioning what was not said ... Your 'runner was stealing' is hardly all the information needed for me to offer an opinion ... I have 'runners stealing' many times but they don't get an SB or CS ... And you never said what happened with the ball, that's sort of important ... With the new information, it sounds as if the Blue was trying to help ... Probably should have addressed you and let you talk to the player though ... As MTR was pointing out, a Blue will often say something to a player regarding OBS without involving a coach ... SO MAYBE, since this ball was hit ( albeit foul ) the Blue was giving your player a little nudge about a possible INT had the ball been hit that way ? Was the ball fouled towards third ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Ball was fouled straight back (damn batter was given the take sign as I knew we had 3rd stolen easily as they were out of position... ugh) There is no doubt in my mind that the blue was trying to help, the only problem was the information he was giving my player was incorrect.

I know umpires often must feel the urge to help out a player, but they simply need to resist that urge and not instruct players. 99% of the time, they are probably going to be contradicting what I am telling my player, and then that starts a problem.

No helping means no problems:)
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 am

Iluvblue wrote:Ball was fouled straight back (damn batter was given the take sign as I knew we had 3rd stolen easily as they were out of position... ugh)

LMAO ... I hate that ... Even worse ... I have a ' fake bunt, take sign ' The batter performs it perfectly last night and the runner doesn't advance ... Then the baserunner says they saw the sign but I didn't give them the ' steal ' sign ... Er,ugh... Why would we fake a bunt and take it if you weren't stealing ? ...AHHHH 13 year old girls, gotta love em ... LOL ... I feel your pain ...
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 am

Iluvblue wrote:
I know umpires often must feel the urge to help out a player, but they simply need to resist that urge and not instruct players. 99% of the time, they are probably going to be contradicting what I am telling my player, and then that starts a problem.

No helping means no problems:)

As an umpire, I couldn't agree with you more... (on this point)

- other things you've said - well that's another story!! ;) :D :evil:
HugoTafurst

by vcblue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:44 pm

I wish you would of said something like, "I coach, you ump". Early in my career I had a coach say this to me and I haven't "coached" ever since.
vcblue

by tcannizzo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Bending this another way, "You don't criticize our umpiring and we won't criticize your coaching". :twisted:
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

Return to The Umpire Corner