Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

proper mechanics?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Runner at 3rd base, catcher fires down to pick her off, ss drops ball and safe is called. SS immediately picks up ball and runner apparently goes to stand up (she had dove to ground back to 3rd. Nobody has asked for time, no time is called, as she stands up, she is tagged by ss and called out.

Is the umpire required to call timeout after the initial safe call? meaning, player is called safe, she is on ground, now is umpire supposed to call timeout allowing her to get up? This all happens within 5 seconds (i mean the tag, drop ball, ss picks up ball, and runner goes to stand up... this was all pretty quick)

Nobody requests time from either team.
Iluvblue

by tcannizzo » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Runner at 3rd base, catcher fires down to pick her off, ss drops ball and safe is called. SS immediately picks up ball and runner apparently goes to stand up (she had dove to ground back to 3rd. Nobody has asked for time, no time is called, as she stands up, she is tagged by ss and called out.

What you have not stated explicity, but I think you mean that when R1 "got up" that she broke contact with the base and F5 tagged her while not in contact with the base.

Correct call: OUT!

Iluvblue wrote:Is the umpire required to call timeout after the initial safe call? meaning, player is called safe, she is on ground, now is umpire supposed to call timeout allowing her to get up? This all happens within 5 seconds (i mean the tag, drop ball, ss picks up ball, and runner goes to stand up... this was all pretty quick)

Nobody requests time from either team.

Corey, c'mon man! You of all people should know that umpires are not required to, and should not, call TIME unless there is a damned good reason. 5 seconds on a ball field is an eternity (I watch a lot on Science Channel) especially on a ball field.

Sounds like it you were on offense at this time. And your restraint is duly noted. ;-)
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Iluvblue » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Actually, we were on defense. We had a 3 man umpire crew, and we had one umpire standing on the side "Training."

After the offensive coach started complaining that the umpire didnt call time, the "Trainer" came on the field and over ruled the guy at third base and they called her safe.

I was not involved in the discussion and after the safe call, i asked this "Trainer" to come and explain to me why this call was changed. After his explanation, I asked him who asked for time, knowing full well nobody asked for time. Then I just walked away and let him know he was absolutely wrong, and was kind of embarrassed that this guy was training the other guys that they were supposed to call time as soon as th " Play ended."

What a joke.

And you are correct Tony, I know they are not supposed to call time for no reason on their own. I tried to frame my question in a way that didnt make it obvious if we were on offense or defense, and was trying to keep my own opinion very vague as to what i though twas correct.
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 10, 2012 3:17 am

Although it was only a few seconds and is a major stretch ... It almost sounds as if it was a slow pitch mechanic ... Killing the play after all action has ceased ... Even so, time is called or signaled ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu May 10, 2012 5:28 am

The umpires job is not to protect players from making dumb errors. If the runner decides to get up and lose contact with the base and gets tagged out, dumb move, you have an out. They should be smart enough to know the ball is still close enough they could be in trouble.

I see runners all the time slide into a base, immediately throw a hand in the air asking for time and then start to get up. The only problem is, first off Im not giving time the instant they slid into a base, and second, if there are other runners on base I cannot give time until other playing action has stopped.
Comp

by Iluvblue » Thu May 10, 2012 7:45 am

The umpire didnt correct a runner from making a dumb move, he made the correct call. Then the "Trainer" that knows better came out and showed him the correct way of doing things....lol
Iluvblue

by tcannizzo » Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 am

1. 10-U or 12-U Rec, I will usually grant time, but in upper-level play TIME will not be granted unless there is a compelling reason. Learning how to get up and keep contact with the base is a basic skill.

2. I don't like the Trainer overturning the call. Improper mechanics should not be demonstrated as part of training.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Whoop » Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 am

tcannizzo wrote:1. 10-U or 12-U Rec, I will usually grant time, but in upper-level play TIME will not be granted unless there is a compelling reason. Learning how to get up and keep contact with the base is a basic skill.

2. I don't like the Trainer overturning the call. Improper mechanics should not be demonstrated as part of training.

Really? I have my players keep laying on the ground until they hear "TIME". Wow this could make for a long game :lol:
Whoop

by Iluvblue » Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 am

This was a 14u friendly with some of the top young 14u teams in Norcal. It was the last game of the day, and the other 2 umpires didnt have a game to do, thus the reason we had a 3man crew, and then for some reason, the guy that wanted to stand and watch and teach as our game went on.

I thought the umps did a pretty good job overall, but NOTHING bothers me more than an umpire telling me something that is 100% wrong. Balls, strikes, out/safe, we all have opinions but big deal. But to just be flat out wrong on something like that and to look me in the face and tell me what the "Correct" way is......... just a peeve of mine.

Typically, I would have quietly dont the old bet for a nice big Heineken quietly with the guy on the side. Im 3-0, and they all actually came back with a big Heineken:)
Iluvblue

by jonriv » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 am

Iluvblue wrote:This was a 14u friendly with some of the top young 14u teams in Norcal. It was the last game of the day, and the other 2 umpires didnt have a game to do, thus the reason we had a 3man crew, and then for some reason, the guy that wanted to stand and watch and teach as our game went on.

I thought the umps did a pretty good job overall, but NOTHING bothers me more than an umpire telling me something that is 100% wrong. Balls, strikes, out/safe, we all have opinions but big deal. But to just be flat out wrong on something like that and to look me in the face and tell me what the "Correct" way is......... just a peeve of mine.

Typically, I would have quietly dont the old bet for a nice big Heineken quietly with the guy on the side. Im 3-0, and they all actually came back with a big Heineken:)

mini keg??????? :) :) :) :)
jonriv

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner