Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

COMMON BLUE !!!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Softballshouldbefun » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 am

Excellent...that explains it. To be honest, I haven't seen it called very much, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as the rules.

Thanks!

D
Softballshouldbefun

by skahtboi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm

K'SDAD wrote:
skahtboi wrote:I am just curious why the umpire in the OP was a "common blue." What makes a "common blue?" How does that compare to an "uncommon blue?" :mrgreen:

Uncommon blue, one that actually knows the rules.

Yeah! Sort of like a coach who knows strategy or what a rule book even looks like. I hear ya!
skahtboi

by upurbox » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 pm

I GIVE THE BLUES ALOT OF CREDIT AND DON'T QUESTION THEM MUCH.......BUT.....I'M STARTING TO SEE MORE AND MORE UMPIRES THAT REALLY DON'T KNOW THE RULES. DON'T GET ME WRONG, THEY KNOW THE BASIC RULES, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LOOK BACK RULE, FORGETTING TO CALL THE INFIELD FLY, TWO MAN MECHANICS NOT EVEN BEING ON THE SAME PAGE, OR EVEN ASKING THE BASE UMPIRE WHAT THE COUNT IS OR HOW MANY OUTS AND THEY GIVE YOU THE WRONG INFO OR SHRUGG THEIR SHOULDERS. I KNOW THE MONEY IS NOT THE BEST, BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE OUT THERE, DON'T UMP AND FOR THOSE FEW OF YOU WHO TAKE TIME TO BRUSH UP ON THE RULES BOOK.....KUDOS TO YOU !!!

P.S. I MEANT IT MORE LIKE "AWE COMMON BLUE" BUT I LIKE THE WAY SOME OF YOU THINK.
PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN STAIRS...
upurbox

by MTR » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:56 pm

upurbox wrote:I GIVE THE BLUES ALOT OF CREDIT AND DON'T QUESTION THEM MUCH.......BUT.....I'M STARTING TO SEE MORE AND MORE UMPIRES THAT REALLY DON'T KNOW THE RULES. DON'T GET ME WRONG, THEY KNOW THE BASIC RULES, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LOOK BACK RULE, FORGETTING TO CALL THE INFIELD FLY, TWO MAN MECHANICS NOT EVEN BEING ON THE SAME PAGE, OR EVEN ASKING THE BASE UMPIRE WHAT THE COUNT IS OR HOW MANY OUTS AND THEY GIVE YOU THE WRONG INFO OR SHRUGG THEIR SHOULDERS. I KNOW THE MONEY IS NOT THE BEST, BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE OUT THERE, DON'T UMP

I don't disagree with you statement. However, you alternative is umpire your own games. Trust me, I would love to see enough umpires to cover every game plus some, but that just isn't the way it is. Unfortunately, that means your choice is take what you get or get nothing at all.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:08 am

".......BUT.....I'M STARTING TO SEE MORE AND MORE UMPIRES THAT REALLY DON'T KNOW THE RULES."

I think that some of what you are seeing is Blues that may have background in Baseball or Slow Pitch crossing over ... at least I have noticed that ... these guys/gals will eventually pick up on the correct rules ... The down side is, that just like Managers and Coaches and Fans and Players ... there are a few out there that just don't get it and never will ... but I don't see many of those around ( and when I do I just hope we don't draw them in the next game ) ... a bad call doesn't mean the Blue is bad any more than a Player making an error means the player is bad ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by upurbox » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 pm

MTR wrote:
upurbox wrote:I GIVE THE BLUES ALOT OF CREDIT AND DON'T QUESTION THEM MUCH.......BUT.....I'M STARTING TO SEE MORE AND MORE UMPIRES THAT REALLY DON'T KNOW THE RULES. DON'T GET ME WRONG, THEY KNOW THE BASIC RULES, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LOOK BACK RULE, FORGETTING TO CALL THE INFIELD FLY, TWO MAN MECHANICS NOT EVEN BEING ON THE SAME PAGE, OR EVEN ASKING THE BASE UMPIRE WHAT THE COUNT IS OR HOW MANY OUTS AND THEY GIVE YOU THE WRONG INFO OR SHRUGG THEIR SHOULDERS. I KNOW THE MONEY IS NOT THE BEST, BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE OUT THERE, DON'T UMP

I don't disagree with you statement. However, you alternative is umpire your own games. Trust me, I would love to see enough umpires to cover every game plus some, but that just isn't the way it is. Unfortunately, that means your choice is take what you get or get nothing at all.

..NO.. MY ALTERNATIVE IS TO HAND SELECT A GROUP OF UMPIRES INSTEAD OF CALLING A CHIEF UMP TO BRING OUT A CREW.....

AND AS FOR CHOICES, WE DON'T HAVE TO SETTLE, WE JUST NEED TO BE MORE STRICT WITH THE TYPE OF BLUES SENT OUT TO THE TOURNAMENTS / FRIENDLY'S. SOME KIND OF GARDE CARD OR SOMETHING BOTH COACHES COMMENT ON SHOULD BE PUT IN PLACE ...JMO
Last edited by upurbox on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN STAIRS...
upurbox

by anonlooker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Couple of weeks back I recognized an umpire from back when my DD played rec basketball. He was a great basketball ref.

It quickly became apparent that he was new to softball when, between innings as the pitcher was warming up, he was cooling his heels behind the catcher and a fastball sailed away from the catcher, missing his head by inches!

Needless to say, he didn't hang out back there between innings after that. :o

and upurbox, will you please turn off your caps? thanks
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by upurbox » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:35 pm

OK.........I mean o.k.
Why does everyone sweat the caps?
upurbox

by anonlooker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Because it means YOU ARE YELLING!

And it's easier to read properly typed posts.

Thanks again.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by upurbox » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 pm

That's what the !!!EXCLAMATION MARK!!! is for....lol
I'm just a lazy typer.
And thats an old wise tail about the yelling in caps from the Fuddy Duddy days ;)
upurbox

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner